Can You ID These Ribbons?

Subscribe
Hello All,

I know this is a job search forum but I was hoping for some expert help.

I was doing some genealogical research and I found an official USAF photo of someone I think may be a cousin. Can you identify these decorations, especially the ones in the top row? It was taken in 1981 and he was a Vietnam era Air Force pilot. I think I matched them with online sources but I wanted to hear your opinion. Sorry the photo is in black and white making it tougher to identify.

Thanks! Greg
Silver star, distinguished flying cross, bronze star top row left to right I think. I'd have to verify tho when I get more time to pull them up in Google
Concur with Navy on the top. Silver star (may have bagged a MiG, since SS was the typical award for that), DFC, Bronze Star.

Next row, Meritorious Service Medal(x3), Air Medal x 9 (5 for silver oak leaf, 1 each for the bronze, plus the ribbon itself), AF Commendation Medal.

Looks like he earned his keep. Hats off to him!
Thanks guys. That's what I thought also. FYI: He was Donald E Madonna. USAFA '59. F-104 & F-4 in the early days of Vietnam. Finished his career as commandant of the USAF Test Pilot School.
Sadly, he died at age 53 in a private airplane crash. It was VFR only equipped and he got caught in the weather. Buried at Colorado Springs. RIP.
I'm sure there's an official bio of him somewhere, but don't know if you'd find something of that era online.
The CADRE library at Maxwell mantains all the Squadron and Wing History packages we did for years. Not sure how they maintain them today but 20yrs ago they had them all hard copy.
They will have bios galore...
I visited and asked by period and Wing name. The historian rep brought out, on a trolly, all docs for the time frame I had requested. I was quite surprised what they had and how far back they went. I went back to Wings in WWII that my Uncle was part of.
This was often done, many researchers, authors there gathering data. It was explained that some spent months there researching...

Address as I know is, www.cadre.maxwell.af.mil

Good luck,

Lifter
Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate the extra insights. Greg