Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Regional > Horizon Air
What's happening at Horizon and Jets? >

What's happening at Horizon and Jets?

Search
Notices
Horizon Air Regional Airline

What's happening at Horizon and Jets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Q400, B-737

Oh, that's rich.
Please, somebody, (anybody?), come fly our plane.
Bid for it, pretty-please?
Old 08-24-2017, 06:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

I listened to the "Pilot Chat" on August 22. If I recall correctly, the E175 Portland satellite base is to be opened for a only few months on a trial basis. In other words, you could bid the jet and not even finish training before the Portland satellite base was closed.

If the company really wanted to get more pilots to bid the jet, then they'd open a "real" E175 base in Portland. Many of the former CRJ700 captains are extremely senior (think 25+ years) and many have served as check airmen. I mention the "check airman" thing because we're apparently really short of simulator instructors and IOE instructors right now. In fact, I suspect that one major reason for the Portland satellite base is for the convenience of flight training and management flying.

In other news, fifteen of our oldest Q400's are in the process of finishing up 40,000-cycle checks, to the tune of nearly two million each. You don't do expensive maintenance on planes that are about to be parked, so what's the game plan? I can think of three possible options:

(1) Keep 'em and fly 'em.
(2) Sell them, or
(3) Keep the older paid-for planes and sell or return some of the newer ones.

Any theories?
Old 08-24-2017, 06:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by DashAviator View Post
I listened to the "Pilot Chat" on August 22. If I recall correctly, the E175 Portland satellite base is to be opened for a only few months on a trial basis. In other words, you could bid the jet and not even finish training before the Portland satellite base was closed.

If the company really wanted to get more pilots to bid the jet, then they'd open a "real" E175 base in Portland. Many of the former CRJ700 captains are extremely senior (think 25+ years) and many have served as check airmen. I mention the "check airman" thing because we're apparently really short of simulator instructors and IOE instructors right now. In fact, I suspect that one major reason for the Portland satellite base is for the convenience of flight training and management flying.

In other news, fifteen of our oldest Q400's are in the process of finishing up 40,000-cycle checks, to the tune of nearly two million each. You don't do expensive maintenance on planes that are about to be parked, so what's the game plan? I can think of three possible options:

(1) Keep 'em and fly 'em.
(2) Sell them, or
(3) Keep the older paid-for planes and sell or return some of the newer ones.

Any theories?
Are the planes "leased" then yes you would have to do the check.. or be in breach of the lease contract...
Old 08-29-2017, 06:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2015

Its been quiet for a little bit... how are classes and hiring? Are things stabilizing and getting better? I know things have been touch and go but hopefully now things are improving.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by Wilson03 View Post
Its been quiet for a little bit... how are classes and hiring? Are things stabilizing and getting better? I know things have been touch and go but hopefully now things are improving.
Company is soliciting volunteers for "vacation slot buy back." This is to eliminate future open time.

Interestingly they're paying for that time (up to 19.5 hours plus extension days) at 150%, which I believe is a contract violation.

Our contract, near as I can tell, doesn't provide for this mechanism. I could be wrong?
Old 08-29-2017, 04:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: fatigued

Things have been quiet lately......too quiet...
Old 08-29-2017, 07:29 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2017
Default E175

Just got assigned a jet class. Can anyone tell me which destinations Horizon currently serves with the jet and what the proposed future destinations might be once they have all 33 online?
Old 08-29-2017, 08:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Originally Posted by JRReaume View Post
Just got assigned a jet class. Can anyone tell me which destinations Horizon currently serves with the jet and what the proposed future destinations might be once they have all 33 online?
The jets are too new right now. I don't think anyone currently knows where the future destination for 33 will be. Even the current 7 on property seems to be scattered all over the map with only handful of regular routes.

I do see ones currently on property regularly fly SEA/PDX to YYC/STL/SFO/COS.
I sometimes see them on OAK/DFW/OKC/SBA/FAT/SNA/MCI/SMF/BUR/SJC/ABQ/MKE etc etc. Just look up N620QX all the way up to N628QX. For some reason N621QX isn't around but you can look up rest to see where they fly.

Last edited by Taylor814ce; 08-29-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:22 PM
In the dumpster fire

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by Turboprop View Post
since Alaska owns Horizon, can a Horizon pilot jumpseat international with Alaska on the actual jumpseat? Envoy an American are allowed.
Yes. Cabin seat only though. I think this applies to all of the carriers on our jumpseat reciprocity list.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:25 PM
In the dumpster fire

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by Griever View Post
Company is soliciting volunteers for "vacation slot buy back." This is to eliminate future open time.

Interestingly they're paying for that time (up to 19.5 hours plus extension days) at 150%, which I believe is a contract violation.

Our contract, near as I can tell, doesn't provide for this mechanism. I could be wrong?
I can't find anything on vacation buyback in the CBA. They were allowed to eliminate the remaining open vacation weeks, but this buyback is just another example of the company bypassing the CBA. I hope nobody participates. If you want to fly instead of go on vacation, there are PLENTY of premium pay trips in open time!