Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Regional > Horizon Air
What's happening at Horizon and Jets? >

What's happening at Horizon and Jets?

Search
Notices
Horizon Air Regional Airline

What's happening at Horizon and Jets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 01:04 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2017
Default Current Conditions at Horizon

Looking for any information as I am considering coming to Horizon. Trying to decide which aircraft I would choose. I have a few questions I hope might be answered. QOL on each aircraft? What are the junior bases for each aircraft? How long to hold PDX on either one? Is there any type of commitment for taking the bonus? How long is reserve on each aircraft? What are the upgrade times currently running at? I know it's a sliding window, just trying to get an idea as I have some 121 time in the E175 before COVID.

Thanks for your replies!
Old 10-01-2021, 07:54 AM
Works Fri-Sun, golf M-Th

Joined APC: Jan 2018
Position: Golf Cart

This place is slow the majority of the time for people seeking info. I would be willing to think most of our pilots don't come on here much as our union has another source of communication that tends to be quite active. I'll try to answer you as best I can. IF you live in Portland I think the Jet would be the area to go, I don't know much about the Q, but the jet as of this summer was trying to get FO's to bid PDX as the numbers of CA's to FO's aligned very well. You should be able to get PDX out of training on the jet. Again, not sure about the Q, but i've always heard PDX is senior for us on that aircraft, but that could just be the CA side.

Bonus: I have no clue, I would email HR or recruiting rep for that info and keep that email to have it in writing. Also, ask how that is paid out because I guarantee it isn't as straightforward as one may think or how recruiting lays it out. Have that in an email in writing as well.

Reserve: Should be pretty quick here shortly as staffing looks to be hurting in the spring/summer timeframe. I can't give you a good answer and I am not sure many could right now, and if you live in base it won't be much of an issue anyway. Best guess, 3-5 months, if that, once the major movement of staffing happens.

Upgrade: I think the regional industry as a whole is going to be the same.... as soon as you get your 1000 hrs 121 you can upgrade. That is based on the current environment and of course, if the economy takes a hit and things halt, then times/availability will vary. Right now, doesn't seem like much is stopping the majors from getting as many as they can as it's a staffing war between them all. Alaska seems to be slow to react and changing our Pathways program (for the better this time) and the big 5 are fighting with each other. FO's are getting hired at the United and American right now without any 121 PIC.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:29 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2017
Default Reserve

Originally Posted by TyWebb View Post
This place is slow the majority of the time for people seeking info. I would be willing to think most of our pilots don't come on here much as our union has another source of communication that tends to be quite active. I'll try to answer you as best I can. IF you live in Portland I think the Jet would be the area to go, I don't know much about the Q, but the jet as of this summer was trying to get FO's to bid PDX as the numbers of CA's to FO's aligned very well. You should be able to get PDX out of training on the jet. Again, not sure about the Q, but i've always heard PDX is senior for us on that aircraft, but that could just be the CA side.

Bonus: I have no clue, I would email HR or recruiting rep for that info and keep that email to have it in writing. Also, ask how that is paid out because I guarantee it isn't as straightforward as one may think or how recruiting lays it out. Have that in an email in writing as well.

Reserve: Should be pretty quick here shortly as staffing looks to be hurting in the spring/summer timeframe. I can't give you a good answer and I am not sure many could right now, and if you live in base it won't be much of an issue anyway. Best guess, 3-5 months, if that, once the major movement of staffing happens.

Upgrade: I think the regional industry as a whole is going to be the same.... as soon as you get your 1000 hrs 121 you can upgrade. That is based on the current environment and of course, if the economy takes a hit and things halt, then times/availability will vary. Right now, doesn't seem like much is stopping the majors from getting as many as they can as it's a staffing war between them all. Alaska seems to be slow to react and changing our Pathways program (for the better this time) and the big 5 are fighting with each other. FO's are getting hired at the United and American right now without any 121 PIC.
Thank you TyWebb for the response. I noticed that there wasn't much on Horizon on the forums here, so that clears that up. I live about an hour+ from PDX so that would be ideal. Which brings up another question, what are the different types of reserve and report times for each one?
Old 10-02-2021, 06:32 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2019
Position: Captain

Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
Thank you TyWebb for the response. I noticed that there wasn't much on Horizon on the forums here, so that clears that up. I live about an hour+ from PDX so that would be ideal. Which brings up another question, what are the different types of reserve and report times for each one?
airport reseve (where you sit at the airport for 8 hours a day)
short call 2 hour call out (1.5 in Boise and geg and mfr)
long call 12 hour call out
with current staffing and hiring picking up I’d expect to fly on reserve a lot
Old 10-22-2021, 07:31 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2021
Default Looking for Kate

How do I reach Kate for help dropping?
Old 10-24-2021, 09:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Are interviews currently being conducted in person or virtual?
Old 10-24-2021, 10:52 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2016

Originally Posted by b3181981 View Post
Are interviews currently being conducted in person or virtual?
Phone screening, then in person interview. They fly you in unless you're local.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2014

We found out last week that AAG cut our insurance benefits (specifically, the HSA contribution the company makes) by 17%, which is on top of the 20% cut they did last year.

This happened within 24 hours of AAG bragging how much money they made, so it's nice to see that we can still count on Alaska treating QX like the unloved stepchild to be a rock of stability in the confusing world in which we live.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009
Position: Left Seat
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by cactusflyer View Post
We found out last week that AAG cut our insurance benefits (specifically, the HSA contribution the company makes) by 17%, which is on top of the 20% cut they did last year.

This happened within 24 hours of AAG bragging how much money they made, so it's nice to see that we can still count on Alaska treating QX like the unloved stepchild to be a rock of stability in the confusing world in which we live.

is this for reals? or just flame bait
Old 10-26-2021, 05:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by Turboprop View Post
is this for reals? or just flame bait
Yes, this happened. The union will file a grievance, which will be resolved somewhere around 2029. Our basic medical benefits are actually somewhat O.K., but the dental and vision coverage is poor. Busted a tooth and need a crown? That'll be $500 or so out of pocket. Need glasses to skate through your first-class medical? Plan on $300 - $800. As an FO, my single biggest medical expense was prescription glasses.