Help from the big boys

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Hi guys,

Here is my story, I'm sure you already heard the same or at least part of it.

I'm 43 years US resident and the time has come for me to change my life around and do what I always wanted to do, being an airline pilot. The main reason was largely because I was given the US green card only this year and of course this changed everything for me. Where I'm from you can't be a pilot unless you start right after high school.

I'm in the process of choosing the right training school. I basically can go wherever I want. Money is not an issue. I have enough cash to go all the way without borrowing money. I was fortunate to make a good living for the past 20 years. I also have a bachelor's degree from a major US university.

Any advice on the path I should take to avoid making mistakes on the way? What schools are best suited for me? What to do after training? Instructing or building time through other means? Once again, money is not a problem.

The ultimate goal if of course to work for a major US or foreign airline the sooner the better. I will still have a 20 years career maybe more if the retirement age is pushed to 67 or 70 which is quite possible considering what's going on in the industry.

Thank you in advance for all your ideas.
Starting somewhere
1) Good for you.
2) Brace yourself :-)
3) Take a couple of experience flights to get a taste for a light aircraft & the world you'll train in.

Then get a first class medical. It would be horrible to embark on your new career and come up against a health issue down the road

Depending on where you live, find a decent school that can take you to a Commercial License efficiently. Note i didn't say cheaply. I think you're looking for the best use of time. Where do you live?

Next look towards the Regionals. You'll need almost 1500 hours for the ATP they require. To get there you can Flight Instruct or scrape some Part 91 job together; banner flying or such. Or, if money really isn't a problem, buy blocks of time in increasingly faster & more capable Single & Multi Engine Aircraft. Buddy up with a smart instructor for mentorship.
There are lots of new hires in Regionals aged 45. The 20+ years ahead of you will be exciting..

Good luck...

Quote: Hi guys,

Here is my story, I'm sure you already heard the same or at least part of it.

I'm 43 years US resident and the time has come for me to change my life around and do what I always wanted to do, being an airline pilot. The main reason was largely because I was given the US green card only this year and of course this changed everything for me. Where I'm from you can't be a pilot unless you start right after high school.

I'm in the process of choosing the right training school. I basically can go wherever I want. Money is not an issue. I have enough cash to go all the way without borrowing money. I was fortunate to make a good living for the past 20 years. I also have a bachelor's degree from a major US university.

Any advice on the path I should take to avoid making mistakes on the way? What schools are best suited for me? What to do after training? Instructing or building time through other means? Once again, money is not a problem.

The ultimate goal if of course to work for a major US or foreign airline the sooner the better. I will still have a 20 years career maybe more if the retirement age is pushed to 67 or 70 which is quite possible considering what's going on in the industry.

Thank you in advance for all your ideas.
I think Jet Blue is hiring Ab Initio Pilots, just write them a $100,000 check and go get your landings.

Good luck!
Surely you have better things to do with 100K+ than learn how to fly! Considering the risks; the high likelihood you won't be prime for hiring until late in the second half of this hiring boom and the money cannot be thought "well spent". Not to mention, flying is not like it looks by any means--it's not driving.

I'm hiring and sitting on a large resume pile of highly qualified pilots who all missed the last hiring boom (pre-9/11) and truly had unlamentable and miserable times--flying in Africa and Asia on contracts, RJ furloughs, family separations, assorted family miseries--it goes on.

Lastly, seniority is The Game and starting at your age puts waaaay down the list.

GF
Thank you for your reply.
I live in Miami but I don't mind going to any school that will be best for me.
I have about 20 hours on a cessna and Piper from a small school in KTMB, but that was early 2014 before I took the decision to be a pilot.
You need to face the reality that you may spend your entire airline career at a regional.
Quote: You need to face the reality that you may spend your entire airline career at a regional.
Not necessarily. Just because you don't land at the majors doesn't mean you've had a bad career. There's fractional, charter and freight operations that will need pilots due to the big hiring wave. He might just be happy flying International with a charter outfit. Being a high paid bus driver isn't everything.
Not a problem
I won't have regrets if I don't make it to the majors. I can fly for the regionals until I get 5 or 6OOOTT and then go to Corporate or even FO in Japan or Dubai making 150k per year.
I would go to ATP. Fastest way to get your time, a garunteed instructor position, and you said you already have a degree so you're good there. Timing and seniority are EVERYTHING in aviation! ATP will get you going faster! I would stay away from the tuition reimbursement program agreements that they have with certain regionals though, since you said money isn't an issue. You wouldn't want to lock yourself into working for any particular regional, when there might be a better option available to you once you hit 1500 hrs.

disclaimer: I didn't go to ATP, just what I'd recommend given your situation
you can do it! don't let all the negativity dissuade you! i'm always surprised how many of the guys hate their jobs or the industry but still continue to do it! i just spent four years flying around the U.S. getting all my ratings, spending that same $100K you are talking about. I did it slow and chased the cheap, I got a job in Alaska straight out of the gate, flew there the last three years, got an ATP, and now am looking to get on with a Regional. Point is, I probably will fly for them for about a year and then hang it up, because I also think this industry is ridiculous, and don't want to be part of it (but I have to check the box first, came this far.)

I agree with the last post, if money is no issue, go to ATP and you will be on your way in less than a year, assuming you are dedicated and willing to be consumed by flying. A friend of mine went 0-Commercial in 8 months, came to Alaska and was making money, flying 100 hours a month, immediately following school (never was a CFI).

It is about the journey, enjoy the ride. You can't know about something until you do it. You can't learn everything off of airlinepilotforums and the internet, you have to do it. Then when you get to the regionals in a few years, if you decide you don't like it, move on to the next career. Life is about experiences, you'll never know if you don't go. GOOD LUCK, this will be an amazing adventure!!
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to