Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Suspended License

Old 02-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Default Suspended License

Okay so my license has been suspended (2 months) for a speeding ticket I got 1 year ago (took 1 year to get my court date). The suspension starts next week. It was the only ticket I got and since then I haven't gotten any tickets (I learned my lesson and stopped speeding). My question is... how bad will a suspension look when I apply to the regionals?? I was surprised they suspended my license since I have a clean record prior to this 1 ticket. I now drive speed limit and haven't had any trouble since then. I have also signed up for a defensive driving course.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: Bug Smasher Captain, CFI

Originally Posted by Puppyz View Post
Okay so my license has been suspended (2 months) for a speeding ticket I got 1 year ago (took 1 year to get my court date). The suspension starts next week. It was the only ticket I got and since then I haven't gotten any tickets (I learned my lesson and stopped speeding). My question is... how bad will a suspension look when I apply to the regionals?? I was surprised they suspended my license since I have a clean record prior to this 1 ticket. I now drive speed limit and haven't had any trouble since then. I have also signed up for a defensive driving course.
I am sorry to hear of this...

There was another thread going on here today about DUI convictions. In it, a couple of people referenced an article in this month's AOPA magazine. I read the article and I think one of the FARs mentioned says that you are required to report DL suspensions to the FAA and *not* by way of the questionaire on the medical form. You might want to check into all of that....
Old 02-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

so I have to report a suspension on my drivers license to the FAA??

http://download.aopa.org/epilot/2006/8500-8.pdf I found it on the medical form, so I know I'll have to write it down when I go for my next medical. Do I have to report it now to the FAA as well?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I just re-read the thread and saw that you participated in it.
http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/showthread.php?t=9198

Yes, I think that's the case. When I get home, I'll dig it up and read it again. If you arent an AOPA member, I can send you a copy if you like
Old 02-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006

so I have to report a suspension on my drivers license to the FAA??

http://download.aopa.org/epilot/2006/8500-8.pdf I found it on the medical form, so I know I'll have to write it down when I go for my next medical. Do I have to report it now to the FAA as well?
If it was drugs/alcohol-related.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

i'm not a AOPA member, thanks i appreciate the help. I didn't think a suspension from speeding was that big of a deal. Damn.

No, no drugs or alcohol. I was speeding, thats it. I wasn't arrested or anything, just given a speeding ticket.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006

i'm not a AOPA member, thanks i appreciate the help. I didn't think a suspension from speeding was that big of a deal. Damn.

No, no drugs or alcohol. I was speeding, thats it. I wasn't arrested or anything, just given a speeding ticket.
I would find an aviation lawyer and ask them to doublecheck, but I'm about 90% sure you don't have to report it if there were no drugs or alcohol involved.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I dont know, I think you have to report a DL suspension for *any* reason. I'll check the article when I get home. The main gist of it is the FAA knows that pilots arent reporting them because they get a list of the driving viloator's names from a national registry. So, (If I understood correctly.) You are in violation of the FARs by not reporting and doing so via the medical questionaire doesnt count.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Reserve Indefinitely

Wow one ticket and a suspension? Sorry to hear that. All I had was a 90 day probation, after defensive driving. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I think the DL suspension is the issue, not the reason why it happened. Although, a DUI is serious.

Shoot me your e-mail address as a PM and I'll send you the article.