15, want to be a Cargo Pilot, what to do?

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to
Thanks for your valuable information...
Quote: Hi, this is my first post.
I'm currently 15 and a sophomore in high school and I think that I want to be a cargo pilot for a major airline like FedEx or UPS. I've been looking at options for getting an ATP in college and I'm looking at Embry-Riddle, EKU, and FIT. I've also considered going into the military and getting flight training. I'm most concerned about the cost. I sure my parents and scholarships could afford the base tuition but the extra $60,000 in flight costs is concerning. I want to know what the best option would be to ultimately achieve my goal.
Thanks!
Here's a big thing I didn't see anyone mention (sorry if they did): keep your nose clean.

Don't do drugs, don't drink then drive, don't drive like an *******. The less hits you have on your background the easier it is to get employed by the military or the airlines.
Hello,
Choosing between a career as cargo pilot is ultimately less a matter of compensation as much as it is a matter of preference, skills and experience. Find some aviation college nearby your location & start aviation training.
Something I haven't seen yet (and something I will add, since I'm flying feeder freight) is to be sure you like flying on the back side of the clock.

- As part of your training, get lots of night time experience, including with an instructor, as necessary. Same with instrument training -- try to get night IFR experience, if able.
- Be ready to fly in all types of weather: snow storms, thunderstorms, high winds, turbulence, etc. I got my experience in a Caravan flying freight out of rural Iowa.
- I got my degree in something I liked (teaching), in case of concerns later, and took a freight job. If you're not naturally gifted at networking (I'm not), you might have to work up from a C208 or a C402, to AMF or some other larger operator, to FDX/UPS. Lots of hours, lots of long nights.
If you really want to serve your country by heart then and then only join the military. Otherwise, it really makes trouble for you to work. You should do some web research on what are the different ways/degrees to achieve your target. There are many aviation degrees are available. Decide what training course you want to learn.*
Quote: One thing to consider going the military route, over the last few years the military was been going more and more to drones. Can't remember if it was this year or last when more than half the pilots completing UPT were turned into drone drivers.
That is absolutely false, not even 5% go to RPA's let alone 50%.
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to