ATP, IACRA and Type Ratings

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
I am in the process of creating my IACRA application for my ATP checkride (it'll be done in a PA-44). I currently have a Commercial/Instrument Multi-Engine Land with BE-400/MU-300 type ratings. I've been wanting to bring my Form 8 to the FSDO to add B720/707 type ratings to my Commercial, but never got around to it. From what I understand, my BE-400/MU-300 types will transfer from my Commercial to my ATP. Is there a way to add the B720/707 types to my ATP on the initial application for the ATP or do I have to go to the FDSO afterward?
Unless the examiner is giving a checkride in the 707 he probably can't do that.

Separate processes, probably can't mix the two and it might create confusion that you don't want. Exception *might* be if the examiner is the same fed from the FSDO who would do your military conversion anyway. But still probably separate paperwork.

I wouldn't put it on the 8710 unless a fed tells you to (unless you have a 707 handy to take for spin after the piper).
Quote: Unless the examiner is giving a checkride in the 707 he probably can't do that.

Separate processes, probably can't mix the two and it might create confusion that you don't want. Exception *might* be if the examiner is the same fed from the FSDO who would do your military conversion anyway. But still probably separate paperwork.

I wouldn't put it on the 8710 unless a fed tells you to (unless you have a 707 handy to take for spin after the piper).
Ok, I'll let that go for another day since it'll probably cause confusion. I was told by the FSDO at one point that all I'd need to do to add the B-720 type was to do an IACRA application and come down with my current Form 8 showing I'm an MP/IP/EP in the KC-135 to get the type. As long as type ratings are in the same category and class airplane on a commercial license, they are elevated to the ATP certificate since the FAA requires all type rating evaluations to be done to ATP practical test standards.
ATP, IACRA and Type Ratings
Yes he absolutely can do that. I would ask him ahead of time to be sure he's willing, but you should be able to take your latest form 8 and he can add the type to your certificate. I and many other kc-10 drivers I know have done just that.
Quote: Yes he absolutely can do that. I would ask him ahead of time to be sure he's willing, but you should be able to take your latest form 8 and he can add the type to your certificate. I and many other kc-10 drivers I know have done just that.
Ok, I'll ask him. Thanks!
I wasn't clear on this but it matters whether the examiner is a fed or DPE...I think only a fed can grant military equivalency. That's a FSDO function, not an examiner function (in the case of a fed, he is the FSDO).
Quote: I wasn't clear on this but it matters whether the examiner is a fed or DPE...I think only a fed can grant military equivalency. That's a FSDO function, not an examiner function (in the case of a fed, he is the FSDO).
Unless it has changed, a DE can definitely give a type in a military aircraft.
Quote: Unless it has changed, a DE can definitely give a type in a military aircraft.
I did not think that a DPE (ie non-Fed) could grant a type based on military qualification, thought it had to be the FSDO to do the paperwork? At least that's how my FSDO always did it.
Quote: I did not think that a DPE (ie non-Fed) could grant a type based on military qualification, thought it had to be the FSDO to do the paperwork? At least that's how my FSDO always did it.
I got my B-707/B-720 type and ATP in a KC-135R from a DPE, who also was a military pilot. He did all the paperwork.
Quote: I got my B-707/B-720 type and ATP in a KC-135R from a DPE, who also was a military pilot. He did all the paperwork.
Now that's the way it should be! I won't ask you how he evaluated your V1 (S1) cut though!
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to