Details on JetBlue's ab initio program

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to
Quote: Just read the details of Gateway Select. I could be reading the wrong program, but Gateway Select sounds no bueno. 125,000 to the pilot, repaid over a course of 15 months? That's 8300 per month!
Elect Bernie and it might turn free!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Will JB instructors be doing the training or is this a separate thing?
Quote: "Gateway Select has been designed to bring more predictability and a lower overall cost to aspiring pilots.

The cost of Gateway Select is approximately $125,000, payable in installments over the course of roughly 15 months. We are currently exploring multiple options for financial assistance to help alleviate monetary barriers to this program. Check back in the near future for more details."
Reading comprehension obviously not good.
My theory is that this is to test the waters. You can probably find 24 suckers just about anywhere. Maybe they're financially stable, self-made. Maybe mom and dad foot the bill; either way let them bear the financial risk.

JB gets a class of, lets say 20, that make it through. They can evaluate the quality of those applicants and decide where to go from there.
Quote: My theory is that this is to test the waters. You can probably find 24 suckers just about anywhere. Maybe they're financially stable, self-made.
Second-career types who want to have "fun" flying airliners around as a retirement gig. Seen it at the regionals with mixed performance results, especially poor with those that didn't even try to dabble in other flying jobs first.

Meanwhile... thousands of qualified, experienced, and ready pilots at the regional airlines would love to have a job at B6 but can't even get an interview.
You can't teach experience. Jetblue will place incredibly inexperienced pilots in the cockpit with paying passengers in the back.

You can train a monkey how to push buttons, but you can't teach them to evaluate a situation and make the best decision when the **** hits the fan.

As long as regional airlines exist Jetblue will always have plenty of qualified applicants.

Bad idea, Warren & Bonnie. What would you expect from a quota hire?

GP
Quote: You can't teach experience. Jetblue will place incredibly inexperienced pilots in the cockpit with paying passengers in the back.

GP
Isn't that exactly what the regionals do?
I thought this whole thing was shot down by the union =(
Quote: Isn't that exactly what the regionals do?
We are not a regional. The reason regional airlines do this is because their business model necessitates it.

I know it's not 1986, but back then competitive times for regionals was nearly 3,000 hours.

Jetblue had over 3,000 qualified applicants during th August 2015 window. We have hired less than 200 of those applicants.

Compare that with some regionals right now who are having difficulty even getting pilots to apply.

GP
Quote: I thought this whole thing was shot down by the union =(
The union, as well as most all the pilots, are against G7. Unfortunately the union has very little say until we get a CBA, which will probably be another year.

GP
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to