Civilian training for a military pilot

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Can a civilian CFI give flight training to a military rated pilot in a GA aircraft if the military pilot does not have a civilian pilots license?
At that point you're just a civilian learning to fly. What you need to do is get your military comp done. Look up Sheppard air and start there.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
I am looking at it as a CFI, would the military pilot need to present proof of citizenship per CFR 1552.3(H) and be treated as a student pilot until he gets his military comp done?
Quote: I am looking at it as a CFI, would the military pilot need to present proof of citizenship per CFR 1552.3(H) and be treated as a student pilot until he gets his military comp done?
I would say that you are correct. Until he holds an FAA Commercial Certificate, they would have to comply the Student Pilot Certificate requirements and the TSA citizenship requirements.

However - call the local FSDO or check a website that is focused towards that type of question....maybe AOPA?

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilots...alidation-rule

It would probably be easier and faster to get the mil-comp commercial certificate. 2 days of studying, easy written test with proof of mil training will get them commercial privileges.
If he's not willing to go get the Mil Comp... well, frankly, I cannot think of why he wouldn't do it.
Quote: I am looking at it as a CFI, would the military pilot need to present proof of citizenship per CFR 1552.3(H) and be treated as a student pilot until he gets his military comp done?
Yes, unless TSA has some special provision (doubt it) such a pilot should be treated as any other brand new student pilot as far as paperwork goes.

Once he gets the mil comp, then he's just like any other commercial pilot.

But he doesn't need any civilian training to get his mil comp, that's just a paperwork drill.
I don't see why someone wouldn't do the mil comp, but if he wants fly before his mil ID should be proof of citizenship since you can't be an officer and not be a citizen. That's assuming he is an officer.
Quote: I don't see why someone wouldn't do the mil comp, but if he wants fly before his mil ID should be proof of citizenship since you can't be an officer and not be a citizen. That's assuming he is an officer.
Stick with the TSA-approved documents for this purpose. A military ID is not approved IIRC, because you can be a military member without citizenship (yes we all know you must be a citizen to be a commissioned officer, but TSA doesn't allow CFI's to extrapolate citizenship from military rank).
Quote: Stick with the TSA-approved documents for this purpose. A military ID is not approved IIRC, because you can be a military member without citizenship (yes we all know you must be a citizen to be a commissioned officer, but TSA doesn't allow CFI's to extrapolate citizenship from military rank).
Rick is right on this. Regardless of being right, TSA wants to see letter of the law. Have a TSA approved form of ID.
Quote: Stick with the TSA-approved documents for this purpose. A military ID is not approved IIRC, because you can be a military member without citizenship (yes we all know you must be a citizen to be a commissioned officer, but TSA doesn't allow CFI's to extrapolate citizenship from military rank).
FWIW, one must be a citizen to be promoted to E-4. I had to reduce a soldier from E-4 to E-3/PFC. I didn't like it because he was one of the better soldiers in my company.

I think the reasoning was E-4, depending upon the military branch, is the lowest pay-grade at which one can be a NCO.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to