Cable Snaps On E-2C Landing

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to
Quote: Believe it or not on the E-2/C-2 when you feel the wire decelerate the aircraft you leave the power levers where they were at touchdown. This is to avoid the a/c pulling hard left in the wires if you went to mil power. That's what makes this even more amazing. They got the power back up quickly enough.
As you can tell, I'm obviously not E-2/C-2 qualified.
Quote: As you can tell, I'm obviously not E-2/C-2 qualified.
Most people don't know that. Heck even I didn't know until starting training on the C-2, having already flown another tailhook aircraft prior.
Quote: But the carrier is steaming into the wind, so it's faster than it looks. Still, really slow due to how it mushed down (better to let it gain speed though than increase AOA). I'm curious about the trap though, isn't it standard procedure to go to full power when you hit the deck?
Props spool up faster than jets.

Also the jets are CL thrust so perhaps not as much risk of lateral control issues due asymmetric thrust.
Quote: But the carrier is steaming into the wind, so it's faster than it looks. Still, really slow due to how it mushed down (better to let it gain speed though than increase AOA). I'm curious about the trap though, isn't it standard procedure to go to full power when you hit the deck?
The 27-29 number on the PLAT came indicates wind speed. Doesn't look like they were doing anymore tha a fast taxi off the end. Even if they were doing 50kts that's less than 80kts of airspeed. Still amazing they saved it. Talk about squeezing every ounce of performance when it counts.
Grumble,

I'm guessing as it "fell" off the angle, the AOA went from close to zero to very nearly stall (.8-ish) instantly without much aft control movement. The trick, as an observer, is NOT to add much aft stuck and hold what you got until speed comes. Certainly a F-18 dude would have ejected.

GF
Quote: Grumble,

I'm guessing as it "fell" off the angle, the AOA went from close to zero to very nearly stall (.8-ish) instantly without much aft control movement. The trick, as an observer, is NOT to add much aft stuck and hold what you got until speed comes. Certainly a F-18 dude would have ejected.

GF
As soon as the plane disappeared below the deck everyone would have been yelling "eject" on the radio. Who am I to disagree?
Unfortunately, the Hawkeye bubbas did not have that option. Amazing job flying it away.
Farva

I got out of A-10 after a mid-air--never heard a thing!!

GF
The pilots got to watch everything unfold in front of their eyes. I couldnt imagine what the crew in the back was feeling! Glad to see my old flight deck stomping grounds came away with no losses yet sucky there were injuries! Still got friends on that boat! Love my yellow shirts!!
BZ!!!!
Sea Service Pilots and Crew deserve the respect.
(This, from a flying grunt)
Quote: The 27-29 number on the PLAT came indicates wind speed. Doesn't look like they were doing anymore tha a fast taxi off the end. Even if they were doing 50kts that's less than 80kts of airspeed. Still amazing they saved it. Talk about squeezing every ounce of performance when it counts.
Quote: Grumble,

GF
Buddy of mine was in a leadership position in the community when it happened. He said it was remarkable airmanship and took some serious cajones to ride it down to ground effect while resisting the temptation to pull back and kill what energy they had. They had to clean salt off the belly after they landed.
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to