Search
Notices

DAL Class drops

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 01:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by 2StgTurbine View Post
In all seriousness, does it really matter? In my class, there was only 1 other person who even wanted the base I will spend my career in. Maybe about 15 out of 30 wanted ATL. There were a few people who had zero interest in red eyes or international flying also. There are enough bases, equipment, & variety of flying that 30 numbers is really going to make a difference. I think your ability to work icrew and PBS has a greater affect on your QOL then where you sit in class.
I worked PBS and iCrew hard to make M88 a DTW base... never worked. Wouldn't work for LAX, SEA or SLC either. As far as I can tell, a forced commute and forced retrain are the only significant consequences of crappy class seniority. Yes, I get it... someone is going to be last. No, I don't think anything will change. But those who say "does it really matter?" probably didn't live in a domicile they couldn't hold for a year.

First world, post-lost-decade problems, I know.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2010

Originally Posted by TED74 View Post
But those who say "does it really matter?" probably didn't live in a domicile they couldn't hold for a year.
Yes, class seniority affects your standing in the drop, but but by the time you get to bid on your first AE, then your class rank has little effect. There are first pilots in every base on nearly every plane. The previous conversations were talking about how you class seniority would impact the last few years of your career and I was trying to say that likely won't be a major factor.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by TED74 View Post
I worked PBS and iCrew hard to make M88 a DTW base... never worked. Wouldn't work for LAX, SEA or SLC either. As far as I can tell, a forced commute and forced retrain are the only significant consequences of crappy class seniority. Yes, I get it... someone is going to be last. No, I don't think anything will change. But those who say "does it really matter?" probably didn't live in a domicile they couldn't hold for a year.

First world, post-lost-decade problems, I know.
Someone is going to be last and that someone is possibly going to have a tough go of it because of that. That will happen no matter how things are chosen, so does the method really matter?
Old 11-14-2017, 03:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Kickin’ Back

Originally Posted by OOfff View Post
Someone is going to be last and that someone is possibly going to have a tough go of it because of that. That will happen no matter how things are chosen, so does the method really matter?
As long as it’s not discriminatory like age......., I don’t care how it’s done.

Denny

Edit: That should get the conversation going again!!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2017, 04:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2012

Life is good! Be glad you were not part of the group hired like 7 years ago that had to switch aircraft three times in three years. They also were stuck on the bottom for years.

I was top 5 in my class and it took about a year to get to a base I wanted.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2010

How about based on a spelling contest?
Old 11-15-2017, 04:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Originally Posted by mesaba13 View Post
Life is good! Be glad you were not part of the group hired like 7 years ago that had to switch aircraft three times in three years. They also were stuck on the bottom for years.

I was top 5 in my class and it took about a year to get to a base I wanted.
Or worse, the ones hired in 1990-1991 or 2000-2001 that would have loved to have had to switch airplanes 3 times in three years and/or had to wait about a year to get the base they wanted. Instead, they were on an "interim career deviation." All about perspective.

The new hire seniority assignment issue fades with time...until that last furlough. Then the light shines brightest on the line drawn between that one person in the class who is still employed and next one who is out on the street.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

This is the longest we will have gone without a bid in probably the last 15 years. It we probably be the longest in the next 15 years. The Moab has not worked well for the company. They may still be one year bids but as in the past they will be smaller with cleanup bids. In a normal year we probably average 5 to 6 bids a year. Some years 8. A new hires first 3 months are pretty defined. It's rare that a bid is not out in any 3 month period. Frequent bids are great when things are going well. Not so great when they are going the other way!
Old 11-15-2017, 05:14 AM
Gets Everyday Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: Relaxed

Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
As long as it’s not discriminatory like age......., I don’t care how it’s done.

Denny
From a legal standpoint, age discrimination was established for descrimination against older persons. There was no such legal thing as age discrimination against younger persons.

If the CEO position for General Motors comes open, a 22 year old cannot claim age discrimination because the board of directors only considers someone with at least 25 years of experience.

That person can feel unhappy, slighted, passed over, even p.o. But they cannot go to court and file an age descrimination case.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Kickin’ Back

Soooo, you’re saying legally, age discrimination can only work one way?

Denny