DAL Class drops

Subscribe
246  296  336  342  343  344  345  346  347  348  349  350  356 
Page 346 of 390
Go to
Quote: i felt the same way when my job cleaning stables was under threat from the horseless carriage in 1907
My great-grandfather got a new sales rep position about that time for buggy whips. Seriously.
Quote: I was reading a freight rail report. They are all twisted up about dropping the conductor. Just one guy running a 16,000 ft. train. Sounds lonely.
What could go wrong!?!

Denny
Quote: That’s a lot of words
Yet no refutation on your part. Interesting. Now back to reading more informed posts.
Quote: I was reading a freight rail report. They are all twisted up about dropping the conductor. Just one guy running a 16,000 ft. train. Sounds lonely.

Rail companies have been trying to eliminate the conductor since at least the early 90s. Now we shouldn’t put our heads in the sand over the issue, but if it takes railways 30+ years (and counting) to go “single pilot” where they operate in really only one dimension, then I’m thinking my kids will be retired before it takes over aviation.

Also remember the first aircraft without an FE were certified in the 1960s and FE positions were still prevalent well into the 2000s.

I realize that it’s always a threat from the c-suite that loves to eliminate jobs, but realistically there are still a lot of obstacles to creating single pilot ops.
Quote: Rail companies have been trying to eliminate the conductor since at least the early 90s. Now we shouldn’t put our heads in the sand over the issue, but if it takes railways 30+ years (and counting) to go “single pilot” where they operate in really only one dimension, then I’m thinking my kids will be retired before it takes over aviation.

Also remember the first aircraft without an FE were certified in the 1960s and FE positions were still prevalent well into the 2000s.

I realize that it’s always a threat from the c-suite that loves to eliminate jobs, but realistically there are still a lot of obstacles to creating single pilot ops.
And think about the public perception knowing only one pilot was there for a transcon. I certainly wouldn't want to be in the back with that knowledge.
1. Freight train engineers contribute a lot less to the total cost of freight trains than we do to airliners

2. There isn’t a shortage of young engineers. There is a shortage of pilots

Necessity is the mother of all invention
They plan to dual-qual a hobo.

Quote: They plan to dual-qual a hobo.

I think that'll be Lance captain hobo
Quote: 1. Freight train engineers contribute a lot less to the total cost of freight trains than we do to airliners

2. There isn’t a shortage of young engineers. There is a shortage of pilots

Necessity is the mother of all invention
If I hear one more time there is a shortage of pilots my head is going to explode. Especially at the major level. If nobody wants to come fly for XYZ airlines for substandard payrates they they will just have to raise them until people will. Or find cheaper labor but that usually dries up eventually.
Quote: They plan to dual-qual a hobo.

Please, these are actionable rail companions.
246  296  336  342  343  344  345  346  347  348  349  350  356 
Page 346 of 390
Go to