Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > Hangar Talk
David Clark X11 vs. Bose X >

David Clark X11 vs. Bose X

Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

David Clark X11 vs. Bose X

Old 02-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Swearing at the FMA

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: MD-88 FO
Default David Clark X11 vs. Bose X

Greetings all-

Many have asked about how the David Clark X11 stacks up against the Bose X. Given that the DC X11 is a fairly new set, not many have been able to give very much info on it. Luckily, I had the opportunity to use a buddy's new X11 side-by-side with my Bose the other day on a routine flight in the 1900. I flew with the DC first, and had the Bose in my lap, ready to make the switch to quickly compare. Results are as follows:

The X11's ANR box is flatter than the Bose, but very long...about like a king size Snicker's bar. I thought it was a bit more awkward than the Bose box. The headset does fold up nicely, however. Initially, it seemed that I noticed a lot more clamping pressure around my ears, and that I had to turn the radio volume up quite a bit more than usual. It sounded like I was talking in a tunnel, for some reason. In spite of all these negatives, I chose to ride it out for a bit, so that the X11 got a full test. As soon as we added power for takeoff, I lost all hope that I had of hearing the captain over the hot interphone. It seemed that no noise was being blocked out at all. ATC, even with the radios going full blast, was barely a whisper. As a result of all this, I took off the headset before climbing through 10,000 feet.

I put my Bose back on, which instantly cured the headache the X11 was beginning to give me, and was able to hear ATC and the captain way better, even without the ANR on. And of course, once I got the ANR turned on, there was no doubt in my mind that the Bose was far and away better in my little self-test.

So that is my personal review, take it or leave it. I have flown with other DC ANR headsets in the past, and found them to be good products, but still not the Bose. For some reason, during my test, the X11 seemed far and away inferior to any headset, passive or active, that I had ever used. My Bose's passive noise reduction was better than the X11 with the ANR on. I know that I had the X11 hooked up properly, since the light was blinking green, ATC was receiving my transmissions, and my captain was able to hear me over the hot interphone. I told my friend that loaned me the X11 to try to return it and get a Bose, and he said that was exactly what he planned to do. Perhaps he somehow received a defective version.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass that along, all that are curious...
Old 02-16-2007, 05:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: BE-20, RA390
Default Thanks

Thanks for your report on the X-11. I would like to try one also.

I fly with a Bose, but it belongs to the company. I own my David Clark H10-30, which I really like. My H10-30, on which I installed DC's "Comfort Kit" has worked great for years, from my instrument instruction to flying 135. I think DC makes the best non-ANR sets.
I hate to see David Clark fall behind, and hoped the X-11 would have performed better.

Flying at my current job with the Bose has made a believer out of me. Bose products are exceptional. My H10-30s will set in the drawer unless I don't have access to the Bose where I work.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:15 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2007

I have and H10-30 as well and am looking to upgrade to Bose of the X11. DC's are great products and wanted to stick with them but after reading this review and others looks like the Bose is the way to go or get one of the lower model DC's with ANR. I guess I just really like the DC's.

Has anyone used an X11 since these posts came up in February??
Old 11-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Short bus CA (CR2)

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Since we are on the topic of headsets and I was considering posting about this I figure I will contribute.

I currently fly an Islander, which if anyone has experienced a flight in one, is a quite loud light twin. I have had much experience with the Bose headset and although the active ANR works well, I feel that it has been usurped by the Lightspeed ZULU.

Recently I bought a ZULU at a local FBO and I have nothing but great things to praise about it. First off, the total noise canceling is just about the equivalent of the Bose headset. Not only does it cost $150 less than the Bose but it is better equipt. I feel the best feature of the ZULU is that it cancels out the static hiss in the intercom system while not communicating. Also, the ZULU has auxiliary input as well as bluetooth support. Bluetooth easily interfaces with a bluetooth phone and phone calls using bluetooth work tremendously well. The ZULU is also comfortable. Although, nothing can compare to the comfort of the BOSE, I am able to wear the ZULU for hours without getting a headache.

I have never flown in a B1900 but during takeoff roll in the Islander the ZULU actually works better than the BOSE to cancel out the engine noise. I am not sure how the ZULU would compare at takeoff with turbine engines.

The only drawback to the ZULU is that once the batteries die the headset volume lowers tremendously and the sound quality reduces considerably. However, I use rechargeable batteries and have not had a pair die in the air. The power indicator predicts battery level fairly well even with the rapid decrease associated with rechargeable batteries.

Overall, I feel that the ZULU is a better alternative to the BOSE. For those of you that wear Prada the Bose will accentuate your sunglasses well. For those of you that want a cheaper alternative that is functionally superior, the ZULU is a good choice.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Citation X, SIC
Default Another option

Hundreds of pilots at NetJets, including myself, are using a combination of the Bose QC-2 headset with a boom mike kit from uflymike.com. The boom mike is very high quality and has a jack for an MP-3 player. The QC-2's are $300 and the mike kit is about $200, so you can have a Bose ANR headset for half the price of the Bose X. It takes a single AAA battery that tends to last me about 7 flying days. I also use the headset when I'm flying commercial and with my XM-receiver during my layovers. Probably the best investment I've made in a long time.

-NTFB
Old 11-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: BE9,10,20

Almost sounds like you didnt turn the DCX11 on. haha

I love my Bose and it has been worth every penny of the $1000 I paid for it untill I get in VERY loud environments. There is no competition to the Bose X in the majority of pistons and turbines.

I have found that the Bose X is terrible in loud environments found in many aerobatic aircraft such as the Pitts or Extra. It doesnt know what to do with all the noise and simply quits trying. I use my DC 13.4 with an aftermarket noise cancelling electronics package. This setup is heavier and clamps harder than the Bose but provides the same noise cancelling properties even in these high noise environments.

Take it for what it is worth.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Che Guevara

Joined APC: Aug 2005

There are those new Telex that are suppose to be awesome.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Swearing at the FMA

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: MD-88 FO

Originally Posted by kerns bbo View Post
Almost sounds like you didnt turn the DCX11 on. haha
No, I turned it on, but I feel that I may have had a faulty product. I just can't see that DC would have turned out such an inferior product. I have never flown such "high noise" aircraft with my Bose on, so I can't offer any insights on that one.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Che Guevara

Joined APC: Aug 2005

I've read several reviews about the X11 being sub-par. I really expected more from DC. I'm a big fan of the green. Until they come out with their own set I'll just keep on using the company supplied DCs.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: CRJ FO no more

Is the Bose really needed in a CRJ? Or would that be too much?