Veba removed

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
We must be getting ready to have a TA presented. The company and ALPA agreed to remove the veba. According to the ALPA email there were some issues with Veba's that they didn't understand! No crap, sure makes me feel confident with the rest of the upcoming agreement!
A positive step. I think a VEBA could be implemented, in a stand-alone LOA, AFTER a serious consultation with the group, and with some serious conditions and restrictions.

For example, it might be voluntary in fact, not just in name.
I think the VEBA was ok at $1 per hour. Where it went bad was the possibility of losing all the 415 excess money to it. According to the UPS vs DL retirement calculator, investing the 415 excess was what got us close to equal retirement FAEs. Losing that 415 excess to VEBA would really hurt our retirement savings, especially for those with Tricare who will not need $500K+ in a VEBA.
Quote: A positive step. I think a VEBA could be implemented, in a stand-alone LOA, AFTER a serious consultation with the group, and with some serious conditions and restrictions
An LOA we can't vote on, no thanks.
Quote: For example, it might be voluntary in fact, not just in name.
This! Or maybe the company funds that $1/hr...

Quote: This is what worries me. It will be crammed down our throats via an LOA.
Well, with all these guys that just want to vote on something, why do we not vote on LOAs? It's not like it's all that hard to setup an online vote.
Quote: This! Or maybe the company funds that $1/hr...

Well, with all these guys that just want to vote on something, why do we not vote on LOAs? It's not like it's all that hard to setup an online vote.
This requires a change of DALPA policy. Several resolutions were presented at the LEC level to address this, I think it's been referred to a committee for review and legal for vetting. That's ALPA speak for, go bury this in the backyard and forget where it was.
Quote: An LOA we can't vote on, no thanks.
You didn't read my post, did you?
This is a positive development. The VEBA came from ALPA's side of the table, yet I can't get a straight answer on "how?" from any of my reps. I can manage my own money, thank you, and the screw job on veterans was simply odious.
Screw job?

No, no, no,...... you just don't have all the facts and insider understanding, let alone the legal and contract expertise to correctly read the language and understand what a GREAT idea/deal is being negotiated for your benefit.
What I never understood is if it's funded by us with our money and benefits us in retirement/death why are we negotiating it with the company???
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to