Commuting from DEN??

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to
Hello all. I'm an AF guy that is nearing the end so trying to gather as much information to make the right choices. The one absolute I have is I will be moving back to Denver for family reasons. If I'm lucky enough to get a job offer, what are the realities of commuting? I see that there are anywhere from 2-5 company flights a day, but what are the chances of a junior guy utilizing these? Anyone on here making this commute? As always, thanks to all for advice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Our jumpseat is not seniority based. It is based on booking status and timestamp. So a junior person has the same chance as a senior person. A bunch of purple folks live in the Denver area though.
My understanding is that DEN is one of the toughest commutes at FDX. Lots of pilots and not a lot of pax options to MEM.
Bid Indy if it's available. Even though there are quite a few IND based pilots from CO, the jumpseat is always available. Every trip in the current bid pack can be jump seated in to from DEN.
Thanks for the replies. I didn't think about the Indy option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEN & JAX I've always heard are loaded with J/S. ORF was tough until the 72 retired.
Difficult commute being junior flying a crummy domestic line. There are 2 flights(non sweep) to MEM 6 days of the week and it varies but I think 1 or 2 pax flights. There are more flights 4? Going the other way, MEM-DEN on FX. IND is easy IF you could hold it. You'll likely get bumped sometime due to MEL'd jumpseat(inop) or equipment change to less seats.
Denver is a hard commute, even if you're not trying to commute on FedEx. It is a popular destination.
Dazdandconfused,

The reality is, DEN is probably the toughest commute in our domestic system, along with JAX.

There are between 2-4 daily flights into MEM. We also have a MON-FRI Colorado Springs option, which can help, but tough to return to on the weekend. Offline daily options are 1 United CRJ (many times weight restricted), 1 United Airbus and 1 Frontier Airbus, each with 2 jumpseats.

Getting back to DEN from MEM is much easier than getting to work, fortunately/unfortunately.

So, Denver is doable, but it requires a lot more work and planning than most of our other outsations. And, once you get some seniority, holding deadhead lines makes things much easier.

Good luck!
And then you have the parking problem. That's worst than the jumpseat problem.
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to