2016 Interview sim question.

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Do you know if UPS is using the MD11 or 757 simulator do conduct the interviews? Is it full motion or fixed base? Any questions they ask? What is the profile they have you fly?

Thanks in advance for any information that you can give.
I have one coming up next week.
Just curious. Does HR request this info be kept confidential? The only reason I ask is, I've seen multiple threads like this and they rarely yield any info...
Quote: Do you know if UPS is using the MD11 or 757 simulator do conduct the interviews? Is it full motion or fixed base? Any questions they ask? What is the profile they have you fly?

Thanks in advance for any information that you can give.
You won't know what sim you'll be flying (757 or MD-11) until you get to the interview. The sim is full-motion. You'll fly the sim without the flight director. Before you go into the sim you will have 20-30 minutes to study the profile and pitch and power settings. As far as questions go I got an EP and a question about holding. The profile is:

- Takeoff from runway 35L at SDF runway heading to 5,000'
- 30 and 45 degree level banked turns (250 KIAS)
- vertical S (30 degree banked turn, 1000 fpm descent, 250 KIAS)
- vectors ILS 35L at SDF

If you screw up, fess up and debrief it. It's laid back. Keep your scan going and give a good debrief of how well you did. Good luck on the interview.
Quote: You won't know what sim you'll be flying (757 or MD-11) until you get to the interview. The sim is full-motion. You'll fly the sim without the flight director. Before you go into the sim you will have 20-30 minutes to study the profile and pitch and power settings. As far as questions go I got an EP and a question about holding. The profile is:

- Takeoff from runway 35L at SDF runway heading to 5,000'
- 30 and 45 degree level banked turns (250 KIAS)
- vertical S (30 degree banked turn, 1000 fpm descent, 250 KIAS)
- vectors ILS 35L at SDF

If you screw up, fess up and debrief it. It's laid back. Keep your scan going and give a good debrief of how well you did. Good luck on the interview.

Sounds like the same profile since 2006 and earlier, except it was in a DC-8 sim. The simple truth is that they use the sim that is available for the day.

The "procedure trainers" and Fixed Base Sims (non-motion) that we have would be useless for interviews, they don't have controls. You manipulate switches with touchscreens, and fly with an autopilot. At least that is the case on the fleets I've trained on.

Maybe someday we'll buy a used Frasca flight sim that can be used for interviews.

Quote:
Maybe someday we'll buy a used Frasca flight sim that can be used for interviews.

Not so quick on the . When I interviewd in '89 it was on an ATC 510 desktop simulator!
Quote: The "procedure trainers" and Fixed Base Sims (non-motion) that we have would be useless for interviews, they don't have controls. You manipulate switches with touchscreens, and fly with an autopilot. At least that is the case on the fleets I've trained on.
When I interviewed in 2006, I flew the MD-11 fixed base sim. It had full controls...just no visual or motion. Definitely tougher to fly than a sim with full motion. I don't know if it's still there or not. Seems like everyone is going to the touch screen procedures trainers, with no controls.
Quote: When I interviewed in 2006, I flew the MD-11 fixed base sim. It had full controls...just no visual or motion. Definitely tougher to fly than a sim with full motion. I don't know if it's still there or not. Seems like everyone is going to the touch screen procedures trainers, with no controls.
It was replaced with a touch screen version, just like the one for the whale. Only training I haven't had here is Airbus. SO I can't speak for their FBS.

Rumors were the MD FBS that you speak of was going to become full motion ? But that was floating around during the Davis doctrine and its budgetary constraints.
I would add for those heading towards the interview....

Do not waste your money on renting sim time in a MD11 or 757 or 767. You have no clue what sim they will put you in.

2 weeks before I went in, I hand flew my current plane raw data when it was practical and safe. I felt fully prepared even though I have never flown a Boeing product.

If you make a mistake, call it out immediately and make a correction. Don't act like it's not happening, that shows a lack of judgement and character. Like any simulator, the 767 I was in was somewhat pitch sensitive, so go very easy on inputs. Same for the ILS, tiny corrections. If you turn 5 degrees off course to capture the needle, you're going to be all over the place.

Best of luck to all those knocking on the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like the profile I had in early 2007 except I was "lucky" and flew the 727 full motion sim, apparently it was available that day. Buz gave me the thumbs up apparently!

The Bus also has a touchscreen IPT, no FBS.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to