Accident, can I still get hired?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
If I have an accident in my past can I still get hired by the majors?
The FAA didn't issue a violation. However, I have to answer the question honestly.
Thank you
Quote: If I have an accident in my past can I still get hired by the majors?
The FAA didn't issue a violation. However, I have to answer the question honestly.
Thank you
Yes you can. I know pilots with violations, accidents, failed checkrides, even DUIs flying for the majors. Just be honest and you'll have no problems.
Absolutely. No candidate is perfect and interviewers want real people with real experiences, including incidents and mistakes they learned from. Most of us have had issues, just explain them and be honest. Attitude is everything. Believe it or not, incidents can actually be a positive depending on how you recovered and what you took from it.
Disclose it and when asked handle it the way you would any TMAAT question.

1. Set the situation
2. Describe the outcome
3. How you learned and it hasn't and will never happen again because....

And everyone lives happy ever after.
Thanks everyone!
Absolutely. I balled up a Cessna 182 in 2003 (no fault, no violation)... hired at UPS last year.
I had a ditching of a 172 back many moons ago and the story of how it happened has been part of every interview ever since......., got hired at a major back in the day and got hired on the international expat market as well......! Just be honest and speak about the leasons learned........!

Good luck!
No big deal. Like others suggested,

Be honest
Take ownership of what happened.
Do no put the blame on something or someone other than you.
What did you learn from the experience?
Why are you a better pilot fornit today?
What do you do till this day to ensure something like this doesn't ever happen again?
How has this event increased your awareness in the cockpit.
This format works for violations, incidents and check ride failures.
It could actually be the thing that sets you apart and gets you hired. It is most likely an interesting story that you learned a lot from. They look at the big picture and as long as you have a good background/history you will be fine. Within reason of course. If you have a swath of destruction on your resume and have bounced around a lot... you might need a solid sit down with an interview prep company. You would actually be surprised by the stories some of the guys doing the interviews at certain companies have in their backgrounds. Own it, learn from it, and move on.
Here's a potential difference - did you cause or contribute to the accident because of poor planning, flying, or negligence?

Or was the accident something that was unavoidable, like an engine failure in a SEL with no suitable place to dead stick into?

Two different scenarios. You said your accident did not result in a violation. It seems like you scenario is more likely the 'no fault' type. You still have to report it. Lying, and getting caught, is a ticket to being fired or never hired.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to