Notices

The Power Of A No Vote

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 03:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: B777 CA
Default The Power Of A No Vote

It should be completely apparent to everyone what has just occurred. While I’m sure the ballots were kept secret per ALPA’s balloting process which is overseen by the Department Of Labor (DOL). Both the United MEC and United senior management knew the TA was going to be overwhelming rejected!

The United pilots deserve a true industry leading contract not the current POS TA sprinkled with a few improvements to just get 51% to acquiesce to a vote yes. Please understand what just occurred despite what many of the those afraid to vote no said. The company (Kirby) needs help to make sure the United Next growth plan comes to fruition. That’s Leverage! When has this occurred in the past that a management agreed to reopen an TA’d agreement during active voting before?

We have Leverage! When polled (as the MEC Chairman stated in the video message) and you engage your elected representatives, demand a true industry leading contact not a regurgitated weak TA with a few improvements just to swing 51% to vote yes.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Because I have lost a lot of faith in our current MEC leadership and our Negotiating Committee, I have a standing NO vote. Until proven that this leadership can negotiate a true industry leading agreement my vote stands at NO! I urge you to to having a standing No vote until proven otherwise. Who’s with me?
Old 07-13-2022, 06:47 PM
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Boeing Aviator View Post
Because I have lost a lot of faith in our current MEC leadership and our Negotiating Committee, I have a standing NO vote. Until proven that this leadership can negotiate a true industry leading agreement my vote stands at NO! I urge you to to having a standing No vote until proven otherwise. Who’s with me?
I would think that they’ve already had their turn at bat. It looks like they did little if anything for four years and then, If Scott Kirby is to be believed:

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/u...yesterday.html

they hammered this abortion together in about 4 weeks to make Kirby happy. I think what is needed is people who are willing to work hard FOR the pilot group, not people who roll over for management.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:42 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2022
Position: A320

Was it a no vote? What was the breakdown? Nobody gets to know. It’s actually still open and from the MC Email the closure of the ballot will be extended up to 3 months.
What if the vote was 51-49 against? At that point, does the company only give us enough to make it a 51-49 in favor?
Not knowing the results probably gives us some leverage.
This is an opportunity to poll and survey and then come up with a better agreement. If they do, the voting process starts over. It seems like a good idea.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Wham View Post
Was it a no vote? What was the breakdown? Nobody gets to know. It’s actually still open and from the MC Email the closure of the ballot will be extended up to 3 months.
What if the vote was 51-49 against? At that point, does the company only give us enough to make it a 51-49 in favor?
Not knowing the results probably gives us some leverage.
This is an opportunity to poll and survey and then come up with a better agreement. If they do, the voting process starts over. It seems like a good idea.
We will never know for sure. But do you really think the company would ask to reopen negotiations days prior to the ballot closing (unprecedented) if there wasn’t an overwhelming No sentiment?
Old 07-13-2022, 08:32 PM
New Hire

We will never know for sure. But do you really think the company would ask to reopen negotiations days prior to the ballot closing (unprecedented) if there wasn’t an overwhelming No sentiment?
Probably not, but that’s only operating on a probably. It’s an opportunity for the NC to take a second bite of the apple, meanwhile the vote for the current TA remains open. This TA failing is still a possible outcome, its just much later.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:08 PM
Banned

Joined APC: May 2022

Originally Posted by Wham View Post
Probably not, but that’s only operating on a probably. It’s an opportunity for the NC to take a second bite of the apple, meanwhile the vote for the current TA remains open. This TA failing is still a possible outcome, its just much later.
Let's get real. I DONT WANT THE NC ANYWHERE NEAR THIS CONTINUED NEGOTIATION. Take the polling data and get all MEC reps in a room with SK and hammer out a deal. Keep it simple pay, retirement ,reserve rules and a me too. Stop the BS and keep the inept clowns out of the room.
Old 07-14-2022, 04:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017
Position: Pilot

I am disgusted at UALPA. Usurping democracy, destroying leverage and repressing the interests of pilots. The cowards only interest is self-preservation.

With the TUMI TA, ALPA was inept. Now they are actively involved in destroying their membership.

They should all be removed. Our union leadership is nothing more than dishonest usurpers at this point.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/1c885c8...a-a2cca7b0688c
Old 07-14-2022, 05:07 AM
New Hire

Originally Posted by Mytime2025 View Post
Let's get real. I DONT WANT THE NC ANYWHERE NEAR THIS CONTINUED NEGOTIATION. Take the polling data and get all MEC reps in a room with SK and hammer out a deal. Keep it simple pay, retirement ,reserve rules and a me too. Stop the BS and keep the inept clowns out of the room.
The NC (and the MEC Officers for that matter)…. doesn’t report or take direction from the line pilots directly. Their input comes from the MEC reps who should direct the NC in accordance with what the pilots want. Further, the MEC were the ones who voted for the TA to reach the membership for ratification.
The MEC reps sitting at a table with Kirby would also be unprecedented. Not saying that it isn’t possible just that its not normal.
Old 07-14-2022, 05:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: guppy CA

I will vote NO on everything the current UALPA leadership puts up for a vote. Because they're management shills