Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2018, 09:02 AM   #31  
Gets Weekends Off
 
robxjt27's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2013
Posts: 162
Default

Job fair is crucial. However, the caveat to that is you must be marketable for what they are looking for (which is a moving target). When I was hired a couple years ago most of my classmates had attended a job fair. Civilian range of hours was 8000-9000 total with about 2500 TPIC. Military was significantly less but 99% were refueling aircraft. There are always exceptions to every hiring numeric parameter. But in general, be in the ballpark of what they are looking for and attend a job fair (or two).
robxjt27 is offline  
Old 12-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #32  
Social Media retired.
Thread Starter
 
FTv3's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 287
Default

So what Iím gathering is if you want the best shot for an interview, have:

1. Heavy time,
2. International experience (at least some)
3. TT 8,000+
4. Internal recs
5. Job fair attendance
6. Military

However, note the class that started last week had:
3/8 corporate,
1 ABX,
4/8 military (Go Navy!!!).

All got 75/76 SDF. Half got Z (intl), half got domestic. 1 navy guy got domestic, the other intl. 2 coprporate guys got intl, ABX guy got domestic.

Previous class in early November was:
2 military,
1 corporate,
1 from Cathay, atlas, and Omni.

All awarded airbus.

Looks like there are two Jan classes. One on 4th and another on 29th. System bid closes Monday so we should have an idea of what fleet they could expect shortly after. Thatís all the intel I got. A330 rumor seems to be drying up.

Last edited by FTv3; 12-14-2018 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Format for clairty
FTv3 is offline  
Old 12-14-2018, 04:31 PM   #33  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Palmtree Pilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Triple Whale rider
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTv3 View Post
So what Iím gathering is if you want the best shot for an interview, have:

1. Heavy time,
2. International experience (at least some)
3. TT 8,000+
4. Internal recs
5. Job fair attendance
6. Military

...
Not really. Have all of this with 10k and 2500 TPIC, HVY Intl time on MD-11 and 747-400/-8, 6 internals and 3 job fairs...one where DT himself told me all I needed to do now was pass the Hogan, but I never saw it.

Airline HR in charge of hiring is the biggest disaster I've seen in 19 years of this industry. My 16' and 17' apps are still active, but I got a TBNT for my 2018 app in June.
Palmtree Pilot is offline  
Old 12-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #34  
Gets Weekends Off
 
BrownDoubles's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2017
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtree Pilot View Post
Not really. Have all of this with 10k and 2500 TPIC, HVY Intl time on MD-11 and 747-400/-8, 6 internals and 3 job fairs...one where DT himself told me all I needed to do now was pass the Hogan, but I never saw it.

Airline HR in charge of hiring is the biggest disaster I've seen in 19 years of this industry. My 16' and 17' apps are still active, but I got a TBNT for my 2018 app in June.
I can promise that posts like this don't increase your chances of being hired. Not sure what your post history is or if they linked you to it but this could very well prevent you getting a call.
BrownDoubles is offline  
Old 12-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #35  
Social Media retired.
Thread Starter
 
FTv3's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtree Pilot View Post
Not really. Have all of this with 10k and 2500 TPIC, HVY Intl time on MD-11 and 747-400/-8, 6 internals and 3 job fairs...one where DT himself told me all I needed to do now was pass the Hogan, but I never saw it.

Airline HR in charge of hiring is the biggest disaster I've seen in 19 years of this industry. My 16' and 17' apps are still active, but I got a TBNT for my 2018 app in June.
While I understand your frustration and agree that your perspective has some truth to it, if your sense of entitlement and mild narcissism came across in your application and/or job fair then that could be a very real reason you havenít gotten a call. They like humility and folks who think (or convincingly present an image of) there is no better place than UPS. The, ďlook how good I am; better hire me before your competitors do,Ē attitude is worse than a dui. Not saying this applies to you but food for thought going forward....

Best of luck.
FTv3 is offline  
Old 12-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #36  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Palmtree Pilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Triple Whale rider
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTv3 View Post
While I understand your frustration and agree that your perspective has some truth to it, if your sense of entitlement and mild narcissism came across in your application and/or job fair then that could be a very real reason you haven’t gotten a call. They like humility and folks who think (or convincingly present an image of) there is no better place than UPS. The, “look how good I am; better hire me before your competitors do,” attitude is worse than a dui. Not saying this applies to you but food for thought going forward....

Best of luck.
Really, what in my statement implies that I'm either of those. Just facts, to rebut the prior post to what qualifications give you the best shot for an interview. I have always been nothing but humble at these job fairs and expect NOTHING to be given to me. I have no ego about my experience and would have no idea how to even get that across on an application. Always been kind and respectful to those whose job it is and volunteer their time to let us speak to them at the job fairs. I even went back the second day of the last one i attended, when there was no line at UPS to express my interest again and ask if they had any recommendations for me to make myself more competitive.

Okay, so maybe not a disaster, but sure isn't what it used to be when your experience and recommendations used to mean something.

Seems to be some hyper sensitivity when someone post something that is reality, but may not be glowing about the hiring process. Didn't mean to offend you guys.
Palmtree Pilot is offline  
Old 12-14-2018, 10:11 PM   #37  
Social Media retired.
Thread Starter
 
FTv3's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2018
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtree Pilot View Post
Really, what in my statement implies that I'm either of those.
This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtree Pilot View Post
Not really. [I] Have all of this [experience]...

[Yet Iím not getting called for an interview. Therefore*...]

Airline HR in charge of hiring is the biggest disaster I've seen in 19 years of this industry.
*added by me. If you reread my post more carefully youíll see I was suggesting vs accusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTv3 View Post
Not saying this applies to you but food for thought going forward....
Moving on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtree Pilot View Post
...sure isn't what it used to be when your experience and recommendations used to mean something...
Consider from a different perspective that this ^ may not be true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtree Pilot View Post
Seems to be some hyper sensitivity...Didn't mean to offend you guys.
You didnít offend anyone and sorry if you feel we are being oversensitive. I think itís clear we are on here to help you guys learn more about the gig and get the job. In your case I merely offered an idea as to why you arenít getting any interest. You say Iím wrong on that. Ok. The other thing I noticed is that you have 10K hours over 19 years in this industry. Thatís 526 hours per year. For comparison I had about 800per year, 42% more. So, were you just sitting around on reserve hoping to not get called or were you doing training, union work, check airman stuff, etc. Brown loves evidence of consistent hard work ethic. Perhaps itís this and not a disfunctional hiring dept overlooking your resume...?

Last edited by FTv3; 12-14-2018 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Clarity
FTv3 is offline  
Old 12-15-2018, 12:19 AM   #38  
Gets Weekends Off
 
BluePAX's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2016
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTv3 View Post
So, were you just sitting around on reserve hoping to not get called or were you doing training, union work, check airman stuff, etc. Brown loves evidence of consistent hard work ethic. Perhaps itís this and not a disfunctional hiring dept overlooking your resume...?
All your other points aside, can anyone say if the interviewers/HR actually appreciate union time? Iím apprehensive to list union volunteering on a resume or mention it in a interview should I be lucky enough to get to that point...
BluePAX is offline  
Old 12-15-2018, 04:37 AM   #39  
On Reserve
 
DoubleUp686's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2008
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePAX View Post
All your other points aside, can anyone say if the interviewers/HR actually appreciate union time? Iím apprehensive to list union volunteering on a resume or mention it in a interview should I be lucky enough to get to that point...

There are plenty of union programs that have amicable working relationships with airline management (HIMS, Pro Stands, FOQA, etc.). Iím willing to bet that my experience running one of these programs played a part in getting hired. When I talked to DT at a job fair a couple years ago he made it pretty clear he was a big fan of my union work.

It shows a lot if youíre willing to do extra work to help other pilots without getting any extra compensation for it. I sure didnít try to hide my union work, and I donít think anyone should.
DoubleUp686 is offline  
Old 12-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #40  
Where's my Mai Tai?
 
Swedish Blender's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: fins to the left, fins to the right
Posts: 1,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTv3 View Post
The other thing I noticed is that you have 10K hours over 19 years in this industry. Thatís 526 hours per year. For comparison I had about 800per year, 42% more. So, were you just sitting around on reserve hoping to not get called or were you doing training, union work, check airman stuff, etc. Brown loves evidence of consistent hard work ethic. Perhaps itís this and not a disfunctional hiring dept overlooking your resume...?
I would say that is your opinion. 500 hours vs 800 hours per year? Pretty sure they donít care since a lot of pilot at UPS fly less than 400 per year.

Like yours, just my opinion
Swedish Blender is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 UPS hiring FTFF UPS 386 06-04-2018 08:44 PM
UPS Hiring FQS jlg79 Cargo 154 05-24-2014 09:27 AM
Political group does a 180 on FDX for UPS 767pilot Cargo 113 10-15-2009 06:19 PM
UPS lobbyists FR8K9 Cargo 12 10-06-2008 05:02 AM
New Deal with Teamsters Cujo Cargo 4 10-01-2007 10:08 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:41 AM.