Thread: Any "Latest & Greatest" about Delta?

Scoop , 05-30-2011 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Scoop
Super Moderator
close
  • Joined APC
    Dec 2007
  • Position
    DAL 330
Quote: A simple solution to the trip parking issue is to ban any trip picked up via WS from being traded. Dropped, yes; traded, no.

JH,

Not sure that would solve the problem. I will explain trip parking as I see it ( I am no expert on this and am sure some kind soul will tactfully point out any errors). I think trip parking is total BS and should be stopped.

Pilot Hosebag has a line with the following trips on it:

Trip AA - 25 Hours credit
Trip BB - 25 Hours credit
Trip CC - 25 Hours credit

Hosebag has a 75 month and we will assume his max pick-up is 15 hours or a limit of 90 hours of credit.

Hosebag sees a 20 hour trip in Open time (Trip - FU) that would fit nicely in his schedule. He would like to pick it up via a white-slip. Alas, poor Hosebag is limited by his 15 hour pickup (due to contractual ALV limits) and his attempted white-slip is denied.

Hosebag, being quite resourceful, is not to be denied. Hosebag gives Trip AA to his buddy, lets call him Douche, via the Swap with Friends board. This is the important part and will come to play shortly - The Swap with friends board has no Max pickup or ALV limit.

Now Hosebag has a 50 hour month and successful picks up Trip - FU via a white slip.

Now Hosebag has a 70 hour month consisting of Trips BB, CC, and FU.

Now for the pièce de résistance - Douch gives Trip AA back to Hosebag via the Swap with Friends Board. Note- Although this contractually this exceeds his maximum credit of 90 hours (he now has a 95 hour month) and was previously prevented by the max pick-up limit as a straight White-slip, it is now successfully processed due to a loop-hole in the Swap with friends board has now gone through.

Now lets consider a few things. Did Hosebag do anything wrong? No, he simply used the contract to his advantage. Fine, although I think its wrong, I do not begrudge this to him, but lets close the loophole. It is quite simple and can be done one of either two ways:

1. Make Max pick-up applies to Swap with friends also.
2. Once you give up a Trip with the Swap with Friends board you can not take back the same trip. Make it a one way operation.

So back to JH's original post. Hosebag did not trade anything from the WS board. The trip he picked up via WS he has kept. It was a trip originally on his line that he "parked."

Scoop