View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Bellanca
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: CFI/II/MEI

I agree with USMCFLYER there was an excellent article about it in Flying.

Pilots aren't against the changes, it is the way the FAA is going about it. They aren't adding better questions, just new questions, and, in some cases, very poorly worded questions. They haven't gotten rid of some of the obsolete material like weather products that nobody uses anymore, or about LORAN.

As for the FOI itself, it is a ridiculous test. Most of the questions involve rote memorization of definitions and lists items. There are important concepts to be gained in the FOI, but it doesn't matter if a CFI applicant can recite things like Maslow's Hierarchy, they need to know the practical aspects of the FOI. The test seems to center more on rote memorization of items rather than scenario-type questions that involve applying the concepts learned from the FOI. I majored in psychology and the FOI test is not intuitive by any means. A lot of the terminology is similar to psychology texts, but the FAA has its own way of interpreting a lot of it.

While on the subject of FOI, I gotta love the section that talks about effective assessment where the FAA pretty much breaks every rule they set forth for making effective written assessments in their written exams.