View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Phantom Flyer
Snakes & Nape

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: B-767 Captain
Wink No Sweat

Originally Posted by l1011 View Post
If I were to apply for a job I am sure they would run a background check so I would have to disclose this to a employer. Would they not notice a difference between the application and the medical form?

Does the FAA run background checks to verify this information and if they did discover it without me reporting it what would be their reaction?
1011:

If you apply for a position as a flight crew member, the FAA mandates (14 CFR 107.207) that a Criminal History Records Check (CHRC) be conducted. It's a 10 year FBI fingerprint based, background check and you can check all of the disqualifying items in 107.207. A felony conviction is usually disqualifying; however, from what you've said, it will not affect your application. The only other required check for a pilot applicant is the National Driving Records check which ddd333 mentioned. Each employer has a different type of "background check" that they run and usually it's a 5 or 10 year employment record, educational qualifications, personal recommendations and possibly an address check for the past five years, although I'm aware of one company that asks for a 10 year address check.

I would not worry about FAA medical issues but would definitely heed the advice given and have that transgression expunged from my record as it may cause questions in the future.

Best of luck Mate.

G'Day