View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Typhoonpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: tri current

Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
The real question is why you would want to go back?

What if one works for an airline that has layovers there. Kind of difficult to avoid returning to some countries. Atlas, UPS, Fedex, Kalitta, Southern, Omni, DAL, UAL, and others have layovers in the UAE.

I lived there for 2 years while in the military and have to say the stories I heard from Emirates pilots and flight attendants made it seem like a decent job if you are single, but some of the destinations are scary.

Huh?, only dodgy layover destinations are in Africa. Some out and backs to dodgy places, but remember terrorists don't tend to blow up the local airline. Scary layovers for me are downtown Houston and NYC at night.

Being put up in a compound with razor wire and armed sentries in towers is not my idea of a good time.

Not mine either, but not sure where that happens. Are you sure you were based in the United Arab Emirates?

Not to mention the UAE is the tourist death trap of the middle east.

Get that off Sex and the City 2?

It is nice to visit ONCE just to see the sights, but living there is a different story. If you can do it more power to you, but there is no way in hell id ever go back let alone subject my wife to it...
I'm guessing you are confusing the United Arab Emirates with some other country in the Middle East. Since the USA doesn't have much in the way of troops based here. Small contingents at the port and the military airfield during Gulf War 1, but that's about it.

Living overseas isn't for everybody, but the lifestyle in the UAE is not too much different from the USA. I have friends who want to leave, but their wives want them to stay. Go figure?

Typhoonpilot