View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 01:55 PM
bmart
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2011

Originally Posted by zyttocs View Post
I used to fly my own C310 into Manassas on a regular basis but it's been 5 years or so. Now I'm flying corporate 91 and I'm looking for advise/suggestions/information about flying part 91 into Dulles.

I know there have been some new restrictions around the DC area but I think it only applies to Reagan with is for the most part off limits to 91.

Since Dulles is 15 minutes closer to downtown DC I'm thinking about using it over Manassas...any suggestions?
I don't know anything about corporate part 91 flying, but I live in the area and am doing my instrument rating at KHEF. I can tell you that, during most hours of the day, the difference in drive time between Manassas>DC and Dulles>DC is more than 15 minutes. Route 66 between Manassas and the District is a hot mess from 5 in the morning until 8 at night. Conversely, the drive from KIAD to DC is toll-exempt and comparatively less densely trafficked, not to mention closer.

Would the time saved in road traffic assuming you chose Dulles be negated by the extra time necessitated by the busier class B terminal and ground environment?

I suppose you already know this but, with regard to the SFRA, it covers both KIAD and KHEF and is a non-factor for IFR traffic and only a minor pain-in-the-a*s for VFR. KDCA is indeed closed to part 91, unless you somehow possess a waiver.

Also of note- the Arsenal 2 departure from KHEF is always going to take you West first to keep you away from KIAD and KDCA traffic. If you frequently fly to the Northeast, Manassas may be less efficient.

No idea if that is helpful.