View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 09:22 AM
acl65pilot
Happy to be here

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: A-320A

Originally Posted by Cohiba View Post
Lots of issues that still need to be resolved via specific DAL policy and frankly the 4th floor is operating at 110% capacity. To add another item literally tilts them. DAL has typically done baby steps to get where they want to be. But...the pace of technology has increased and now it is consumer driven verse being enterprise driven. This is an enormous issue for every large corporation since the worker bees/clients/consumers just do what they want and absent a corporate policy...they are free to go. The iPad is similar. It is a PED and as such, the FAA has no problem for its use above 10,000 by any pilot for the use of their duties (see MAR Flt INfO) and they also supplied the process for any POI to approve the iPad as an Class1 device.

In DAL's case they don't have a policy regarding the use (eg, can't plug in during flt, when it can be used and what apps to use). I'm betting DAL will have to buy the iPad and ensure you don't have email app on it (sole reason for them to purchase). Thirdly...they don't have a technology fix for updating the pubs. While there are several workarounds and also several companies they could outsource with, DAL is keenly attached to doing their own in-house technology fixes. Overall, these issues are difficult to resolve at a corporate level and rather than just let the prisoners run the prison---they say no, we're looking into it.

Frankly, it doesn't get us much in terms of cost savings and productivity so its pretty hard to make the business case. Just look at the airside kits. That case was a no-brainer but it took years and years to make it happen. Why? Because the 4th floor is pre-occupied with other issues and pilot pubs is pretty low on their list.
Great post, and I totally agree.

A EFB does not provide enough of an ROI versus air side kits. When you add a maintained and scheduling function the ROI goes though the roof. Because we are in the process of changing the backbones of these two systems, we will probably have to wait for them to develop the apps or software to get the functionality they want.

I am fine by that, because frankly I am not too sure I want a device attached to me that can reroute me at the stroke of "enter."