View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 06:46 PM
olly
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Default Known Crewmember Uniform Restriction

After reading the May edition of our ALPA AIrline Pilot mag, & the new Known Crewmember sytems uniform restriction I sent this to our FDX alpa reps and letter to the editor.

I'd like to hear some feedback, as I would like to send some to the TSA on the policy, but would likely be more effective letting ALPA gov affairs/PAC do the inside liaison.

The restriction of “Known Crewmember” system to only uniformed pilots defies all the logic upon which the system is based. I would like to understand and hear an intellectually honest rationale of why the TSA is limiting the use of this system to only “uniformed” crewmembers.

FedEx pilots are often directed, while on duty, to not to wear their uniform on some international deadheads. Commuting pilots jumpseat out of uniform in order to not soil another uniform, especially on long trips.
The major tenant of this system is known identity. A pilot’s identity doesn’t change based on what color his shirt or pants are. If the system can’t confirm a pilots identity when he’s not wearing his uniform it can hardly be called trusted.

According to the TSA, as reported in the May 2011 “Airline Pilot” publication, pg 16:
1. “This enhanced identity verification and employment confirmation system will make airport checkpoint screening more efficient by getting airline pilots out of passenger screening lines.”

So if the TSA really wants to be efficient, and the system positively confirms identity, why wouldn’t the TSA/ALPA want to get ALL pilots out of the passenger screening lines regardless of their clothing? Identity is identity- efficiency is all about numbers & throughput per unit time.

2. “…airline employee databases enable TSA security officers to positively determine identity and employment status of flightcrew members.”

So if the secure database enables TSA security officers to positively determine identity, why do pilots need to be in uniform? My employment status, passport number, and fingerprints/retina scan are the same no matter what I’m wearing. Are the TSA officers not competent enough to utilize the system unless the pilot is wearing a light colored shirt with epaulets, dark pants & a dark tie?

3. “KnownCrewmember” uses technologies more advanced than those employed by CREWPASS”.

What’s the point of expending resources on “advanced systems” if the TSA is knowingly going to sub-optimize their utilization by mandating that only those in uniform can use it?

4. APLA president Lee Moak stated, “airline pilots have been through employment checks, fingerprinted, have criminal background checks, and are the most highly screened employees in the aviation industry.” However, he states that, “…this process recognizes those facts by providing pilots with a technologically modern and highly efficient alternative to traditional screening”

Excluding non-uniformed pilots ignores the facts the CAPT Moak states in his previous sentence, and the restrictive policy, albeit better than status quo, does not provide a “highly" efficient alternative.

5. ATA President Mr. Calio is quoted, ”airline pilots are trusted partners…and with this new system we can improve the screening system for flight crews while reducing [security screening checkpoint] congestion and improving the travel experience for passengers in TSA security lines”.

Well- if we are “trusted”, and reducing congestion is an objective- then why the uniform restriction? Are not really trusted? Is screening congestion not important? Which one is it? TSA either trusts us or they do not.

6. TSA Administrator Pistole stated, “Deploying an enhanced security screening program for uniformed pilots that allows the TSA to verify their employment is a win-win. We want to focus our limited resources on passenger screening, while speeding and enhancing the checkpoint experience.”

If Pistole is honest in his second sentence, “focus our limited resources on passenger screening, while speeding and enhancing the checkpoint”- why would he limit the policy to uniformed pilots? He is again spending more resources and slowing down the passenger screening by utilizing the same process on “known crewmembers” as potential threats, sub-optimizing the system TSA/ATA has invested in.

This restriction to uniformed pilots defies all the logic used by ALPA, ATA, and TSA. A pilot’s identity does not change if he’s wearing khaki’s and a polo shirt.

I petition ALPA to readdress this policy-if for any reason- consistency in purpose- efficiency resources etc. Secondly – many, many pilots are commuters, and travel out of uniform to/from work, and being “known trusted crewmembers” should be able to benefit from all this “enhanced” and “advanced systems” for all the aformentioned reasons- to include a small QoL improvement.

If the whole purpose is just a TSA charade to make an “appearance” of security -then be honest with us, and just state the fact that even though we’ve been through background, criminal, medical checks, the TSA could care less and is more concerned about “image”, than security, efficiency or cost.

By the way- the same "trusted" or "not" identity should be applied to liquids carried by pilots while not in uniform. If I'm commuting to a 12 day trip it'd be nice to carry a can of shaving cream, while not soiling another uniform shirt while commuting.