View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 02:08 PM
dojetdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: DD->DH->RU/XE soon to be EV

Originally Posted by superflyers View Post
my first post...yahh
I have a interview tomorrow with eagle, and there is this last question i am trying to find an answer for
for take off alternate.

lets say that the RVR is above the required for landing, however the ceiling is below the required. do we need a takeoff alternate?
in some parts of the regs, it almost seems like its the RVR there is ruling only.
I would greatly appreciate some help

thanks

JJ
Unless the approach plate SPECIFICALLY states a ceiling is required (like some mountainous airports, etc), visibility is controlling and ceiling doesn't matter, AS LONG AS YOUR TALKING ABOUT NEEDING A TAKEOFF ALTERNATE. Also, RVR is controlling, as long as the field is equipped as such.

You need a take off alternate anytime the visibility is below the lowest CAT I minimum for a usable approach.

It doesn't really get any easier than that. Sure, the interviewer may say "it's 4000 RVR, but but they're calling it vertical visibility ZERO, you SURE you don't need a take off alternate?" He's usually pressing you to see if you're going to stick to your guns and are sure of the answer.