Old 06-23-2011, 10:19 PM
sacbluesman
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2011

I know this thread is a little old but this may help someone else out in picking a training facility in the Sacramento/Davis area.

I'm currently a student at Skywalk. I've also been a student with Cal Aggies.

The difference between those two schools are huge and quite honestly not even in the same class. Go to Skywalk if you plan on making flying a career. Skywalk is quite structured in their training program. The instructors are also very helpful and professional in the way they teach. The downside is they aren't cheap and plan on paying nearly double of what they advertise on their website unless you are a gifted natural and are able to complete their course in the minimal time. The other thing is their fleet has seen better days. With the rates they charge I'd expect the planes to be in better shape appearance wise. I'm not suggesting they aren't airworthy. Skywalk is an excellent choice if you are wanting to become a professional pilot.

Cal Aggies is a good place to go if you want a real laid back environment to learn. I'd say this facility is best suited for the retired folk, someone who aspires to be a crop duster on their farm or those looking to advance no further than their private pilot cert. I was with them for a few months and I'd say even though learning was less stressful with them, I was definitely short changed in what I was being taught. I tried a couple different instructors while I was there with the same result each time. The majority of the time I went up in Davis it seemed like we did whatever the instructor pulled out of his backside to practice. It seemed random. The lack of structure bothered me. On the plus side, their fleet is really awesome. Appearance wise they are great, the rates are the best in the area and the planes are ALWAYS full on fuel (the extra .2 on the Hobbs to taxi to the pumps start to add up after a while).

I personally feel that training out of a towered field sets the bar early on for being a proficient pilot. Skywalk definitely sets a high expectation for their students. If you don't meet it, you will be repeating the material until you do.

The FARs require all flight schools to teach the necessary material, maneuvers and procedures. It will happen at either one of these locations.

If someone has further questions on my experiences at either one of these locations, I'd be glad to elaborate further.