View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 02:23 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by keoni View Post
There is continuous talk about there being a hiring boom on the horizon. To me it seems like a marketing ploy, but is there really going to be an upswing?
There will have to be due to the retirement age limit and current pilot demographics. That does not mean that private pilots will be getting major airline jobs but there should be some sustained movement over the years to come. If there is also growth in the airline industry (unlikely due to economic, environmental, and other issues) there might be a true hiring boom.

If there is an upswing, how hard would it be for someone to get an entry level job at a regional? To civilian pilots usually go to the regionals or do ex military get picked first for those as well?
Civilians usually fill the regional slots

What are my other options for being a professional pilot if the airlines are not the way to go?
- Career flight instructor. You can do this part-time, at your local airport and keep your real job. You can go full-time if you want but it's hard to get benefits, vacation as a CFI.

- Charter (part 135). You operate smaller airplanes out of mostly smaller airports. Many of these jobs are on-call 24/7 which can be a grind but there are a few good jobs.

- Corporate. Fly for a private owner, either some rich guy or the corporate flight department of medium or large company. Pay and working conditions vary wildy.

- Bush Flying. Mostly in Alaska, although there are opportunities in South America and other places. Pay is usually adequate, and it's a lot of fun but odds are good you will not be alive to see your kids get married.

Considering I'm starting 10 years later than most, I am late, but not too late according to everyone else I've talked to. Is aviation still a good area to be in, just not the airlines or is the entire industry just going into withdrawl?
The problem is that you are entering a phase of life where most people are starting to settle down and focus on family...that means stability and money are desirable. Aviation is not going to provide either of those for 10-15 years. If you don't have these things going for you, reconsider:

-Single, prefer bohemian, unattached lifestyle. Or have a spouse who is very understanding, portable, and has a good job skill which is also very portable (nurse, pharmacist, etc).

- Have retirement accounted for (aviation will probably not provide any retirement program). At your age you don't need it fully funded but 150-200K would be a good start.

- Have enough cash on hand to pay for training and then subsidize your lifestyle for the next 8-10 years until aviation pay catches up. Or have a backup career skill.

-Ideally have a backup career skill that you can work on the side to supplement your income, and fall back on when aviation fails you.

You have a lot of research to do. Short answer: It can be done, but at what cost?