Old 07-06-2011, 02:14 AM
FlyingNasaForm
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: G550 & CL300 PIC

I went there. But it has changed a lot since I have left. The course fees are crazy high. I think they're charging $125 / hour for a PA28-161. The thing is all glass too.

The Chief CFI, Ron, is a super nice guy and the program turns out pretty good pilots. However the head of the department, BJ is an idiot. They only have one multi engine airplane (BE-55) and one high performance/complex aircraft (BE-33). They're nice planes but because there is only one of each this creates a log jam. The Baron blew an engine last year and was down for months. People were not able to graduate with a multi engine rating.

Here is what I would recommend for anyone thinking of doing the flying thing for a career.

If he really really wants to fly, have him go to college for something other than aviation. While he is in school for a non aviation related degree have him go to a small airport and learn to fly. It will be way cheaper than any flight program. Consider buying an IFR C-150, cub, or champ to learn in. You could try to put it on lease back to an FBO. There are a ton of student instructors at OU looking for hours that would be more than happy to teach your son to fly.

Have him fly his ass off. Get his CFI as soon as possible (before your multi engine) so you can start flying and getting paid for it.

I don't think any potential employer is going to overlook you for a pilot position because your Bachelor's degree is in a non-aviation field.

I did like OU and Athens. Pretty town.

If you have any questions let me know.