Old 07-08-2011, 07:44 AM
lstorm2003
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by WalkOfShame View Post
It is different, but you will got use to it. I had the same problem years ago when I switch to a glass cockpit training aircraft. I have about 600 hours in aircraft with the G1000 and believe me, its easier to use than some other "systems" (cough, avidyne, cough). When I was instructing in them, I found that students too often tried to "read the number" which is too difficult unless you're in smooth air in level cruise flight. Instead, maybe try recognizing the static number and then looking to see which way this other numbers are moving. For example, you are trying to climb at 78 knots. The "7" stays relatively still in the airspeed window while the "8" changes more quickly as slight variations in your airspeed occur. By recognizing if the small number (the single knots) and spinning down or up, you will more easily recognize be able to "read" the G1000. This same principle goes for altitude and vertical speed as well.

As far as unusual attitude go, referencing the airspeed tape for pitch info on the G1000 is more difficult. Is there a back-up airspeed indicator you can initially reference instead and then use the PFD?

A word to the wise, while an AHRS in glass cockpits doesn't have gyros that can tumble during an upset event like its analog counterpart. I did, on many occasions, have the AHRS in the G1000 "give up" while doing unusual attitudes, really slow slow flight, spins, and 0 flap power-on stalls. It would replace the attitude indicator and horizon with a big red X. It didn't happen every time, but it did happen. I feel lstorm's use of the airspeed indicator to get an initial pitch indication is the safest and quickest way to initiate a recovery from unusual flight. After the recovery in initiated, the use of the other instruments (as long as they are in agreement with the intended recovery) can be used. Well, at least thats how I was taught and how I taught my students... but everyone teaches things differently

Anyway, I hope I help lstrom.

Cheers!
Yes you have been helpful, thank you.. And yes, there is a backup Airspeed, Attitude, and Altimiter which I do glance at from time to time, but I feel like that's "cheating" so I've been trying to break myself of this habit.

I can tell you that I have a much easier time maintaining a constant altitude & airspeed during slow flight if I look at the standby instruments rather than the G1000. On the standby instruments I can nail it and hold it without even really working too hard. On the G1000 I can do it, but it is more difficult for me. Cruise flight is not really a problem, its just when I'm trying to hold altitude for a maneuver.

Can you please describe in more detail your process of
But could you please describe in a little bit more detail your method for controlling Airspeed and Altitude using the "small number" spinning up or down? Do you mean visually spinning downwards or upwards? Or do you mean actually reading the numbers themselves and deciding if they are going up or down?