Old 07-10-2011, 08:42 PM
IdahoFlyer
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2010

Just so you know your hours always go where you go, but they can't necessarily be used towards ratings. If you start at a part 61 school and then transfer to a part 141 school all of your hours get transferred but only 25% of those transferred hours are applicable towards your ratings at that school. If you start at a 141 school and transfer to a part 61 school all of your hours can be applied to a rating at that school. If you transfer from one part 141 school to another 50% of your hours can be applied to a rating at the new school. Just keep that in mind if you bounce around flight schools. Transferring from one part 61 school to another there is no loss of time. As stated before, your new instructor will likely want to review what's already been covered by your past instructor(s) before moving forward. I don't know if I'd bother getting started with only one month before going to school. My recommendation would be to take a demo flight to make suremyou don't hate flying and then buy your books and get studying. Instructors love students who study and want to learn.