Old 01-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Thomas
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Smile Airline Pilot – Is it a good choice for a career change?

- IF THE POST IS TOO LONG, JUST JUMP OVER THE FIRST 6 PARAGRAPHS -

I’m 30 (Permanent Green Card Holder), tired of my current job (14 years of Hardware/ Software support) and I’m looking to change careers. About 2 years ago I checked into joining the Navy or the Air Force to fly planes. The recruiter promised me I would learn how to fly planes. I insisted on taking an extra day to think about it. After looking up some info I found out that you have to have a 4 year degree to even be eligible for Flight Training. I was 28 at the time. And after talking to some people in online forums I found out that after 30, even if I’m qualified for flight training the odds of getting picked go down fast. So that did not work out.

Fast forward to today, I’m about to finish my AA in Engineering and after that plan on taking a break (6 month) from work, school and all the other day to day hassle.

I looked into becoming an airline pilot on my own, without the military and I came across several schools (ATP Flight School, National Pilot Academy, ERAU, JetUniversity, …..)

From experiences that some of my friends have had with these Drive-thru Schools I was comprehensive about signing up. I understand the guarantee you a job or some other wording like that. But two of my buddies paid over $60000 for a 4 year school and now they get $9.75 hr for graphic work.

After reading this and some other forums with some colorful opinions about the airline industry in general I decided against the Drive-Thru School route.

As of right now my plan is to finish my B.S. in Engineering either at USF or UF and a Minor in Business. I can still earn a living as a Real Estate Agent or a Real Estate Appraiser. I still want to try for a career as a pilot but I don’t want to make it an all or nothing choice. So I want to take the traditional route and get the different certifications on my own.

Please fill in or correct any information that is missing or wrong.
  • Student Pilot License
  • Private Pilot License (40 Hours)
  • Instrument Rating (Night Time, Bad Weather) (50 Hours)
  • Multi-Engine Rating (50 Hours)
  • Single-Engine Commercial Rating (250 Hours)
  • Multi-Engine Commercial Rating (250 Hours)
  • CFI, CFII, MEI
  • Airline Transport Pilot (1500 Hours)

I understand that I have to pass various Medical Exams. I also understand that I have to pass various written, oral exams, and the check flights. I also think there some variations on the various Licenses.

At what point can I apply for a job with a regional or national airline? The first 250 Hours is feasible on my own, but after that just to get the hours on the larger planes the expense grows rapidly. Do the airlines have their own training programs? I would even consider renting multi-engine planes in 10 or 25 hour blocks.

How does someone get into flying small Private Jets and later mid to large Jets. At what point can I begin that training.

What does Part 61, Part 135, Part ……… mean?

Sorry about the lengthy post.

Thomas S.
Tampa, FL