Thread: Ari Ben?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 11:15 PM
planecrazyjenn
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: BE-76

I go there now, and I absolutely love it here. Mike is a wonderful guy. Mary, Judy, TJ...all great gals. It's been a fabulous experience...and I'm very thankful I came here. Your not just a student number, and everyone will go out of their way to help. The experience goes outside of the flightline as well. Right now my fiance is deployed, and it's been a rough struggle balancing him being away...and handling all the training. They've really kept my spirits up, and helped to get me through this. The other students here, great. We form little study groups, and it's good. Some of the examiners here are pretty hard, so be ready to stuuuudy. A lot of instructors here are getting hired with airlines, so if your looking to build multi time as an instructor there's a great chance to do so here.

The rate for the BE-76 during your time building phase is $89/hr. The white with gray/red is kind of an ugly color...but the fleet is being updated paint wise. Quite a few of the planes have Garmin 430, some do...some don't. Doesn't bother me. I'm not pressed on GPS.

Ground school, you don't have to take any formal class until you get to your instructor stage. However, Pierre offers classes for the instrument and such...and although not required - I hiiiighly recommend them. This man is absolutely fantastic. He was a french fighter pilot, and did quite a bit with the US navy. He handles all the stagechecks here...and is one smart cookie.

As for maintenance, these planes are flown a ton. They go through the 100/hr on average every 10 days...a lot of times, less. We have two planes now that are set aside just for time building. It makes it easier to keep the planes here for the students, as that's where most of the schools money is made. A lot of time builders do their flying at night. The airspace is a lot less congested, and you can get things done.

As for the time building itself...it's what you make of it. You can go anywhere and do "lame" time building...if all you do if fly from point A to point B. If you use your time to learn, try new things, and really focus on your flight skills...you'll take a lot away from it. If you fly GPS direct everywhere, rather than home in your IFR skills through victor airways and such...that's your choice. It's what you make of it. FL has a lot to offer in the way of destinations. There are great places to get your seaplane rating if that's what you want, however keep in mind most of the people going into these kinds of programs have their hearts set on airline and corporate jobs. So when you weigh out multi's for 89/hr, v. a seaplane...it's obvious why people pick the multi. But I do agree, that seaplanes will definitely teach you more about the "stick and rudder" aspect of flying...and I surely wouldn't pass up an offer. I come from an uncontrolled field, flying 152's out of grassstrips...so to make the transition to a multi at a controlled field was huge...and the type of flying is much different - and both have many good opportunities for learning. I'd highly recommend getting experience in both areas. My heart is set on missionary flying, not the airlines...so my reasons for coming here are a bit different than most. We have guys from allllll over the world here.

I'm surprised they denied you the plane. I've never heard of this happening. The Bahamas now require a passport, so if your thinking about coming here...get a passport. It'll open you up to a lot.

If you want to visit they'll arrange for a tour...have someone pick you up...and you can backseat a training flight. I'll pick you up personally, and you can backseat one of my flights. I love this place. I wouldn't say it's for everyone, because everyone has different learning styles...but it's definitely right up my alley.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cat