Thread: Decision Point
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 07:26 PM
grecoaj
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: CFI

1987 was a good year. By the way, you might be my long lost twin, although I don't have the guts to share my story and I'm glad you're reaching out here, hopefully you'll get advice from many people/places. The advice that I've been given was to get a job in the field that I got my BS in in order to fund my training. Easier said than done, but don't give up. You are in a pretty good place, having a degree without debt or dependents. That being said, you might have to enter the suck for a year or two in order to get your ratings. What I mean is, you might have to get a job you don't like, maybe even hate. I understand that cuts it close, but you might be surprised how quickly you can build time. If you can survive off ramen and cereal while living in a pop-up trailer at the drop zone while you build your time (not unlike someone I know...), then do it! Look all around for flying gigs. Last but not least, get a plan. Learn all you can about how and where to get the ratings you need, grab a calendar and write down the goals. I love the sky, I'm only happy when I'm flying. That fuels me when I go into work at JCPenney.

Hope this helps. Good luck!