View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Jetjok
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by CaptainTeezy View Post
Hey guys, I unintenionally posted this same question in the MAJOR's forum, but I was just wondering what a typical month is like at UPS/FedEx. I have heard that you go all around the world/USA for about a week and then you have the rest of the month off...is this true? Thanks all.
Yeah, it's absolutely true! But in a lot of cases we only work three or four days and then have the rest of the month off. But we get lots of pay and per diem for the entire month.

Seriously, we fly about the same as everyone else in this industry. Our international trips can go from 2 to 14 (or so) days, while our domestic trips go from what we call out-and-backs (depart Memphis, fly to Detroit, wait a few hours, and fly back to Memphis), to week-long trips that don't traverse our Memphis hub. And everything in between. Usually our out and backs are strung together, so that a guy flying that type of line will work for 5 or 6 days in a row, then some time off, then repeat the 5 or 6 days of work, etc, etc. Guys on reserve will have more "R" days strung together (typically), and end up on reserve for maybe 3 additional days (above the number of days a typical line-holder will work) a month. But on reserve, it's a crap shoot as to if you actually fly or not, and depending on the base and season of the year, reserve might go very senior. In our Anchorage base, a junior guy can't touch reserve during fishing season.

Hope this helps answer your question.