Thread: Part time CFI?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 10:53 AM
lstorm2003
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Default Part time CFI?

So question for the group... I graduated college in 2000, and just before that, in 1999 I earned my private pilot license. I decided pretty much right after college that I wanted to be a professional pilot, problem was I was broke and couldn't afford the training. My degree is in Computer Information Systems, and after college I found an I.T. related job making ok money, and I continued my flight training (albeit slowly). Well 11 years have passed since that time and I've now collected ratings up to Multi-Engine Commercial Instrument.

My problem is that now that I've been working in the I.T. industry for so long, I'm actually making pretty good money at it. I've also bought a house and a nice new car. If I were to try to make it as a professional pilot I would almost certainly take a huge pay cut. In order to avoid this but still be able to purse my passion I am considering the possibility of getting my CFI and becoming a part time Flight Instructor (early mornings, evenings, and weekends).

Is this a realistic possibility? Are there flight schools out there who would hire a part time CFI in the S. FLA area?

If so then my next question is where to obtain the CFI rating? Although I've never done it (other than for writtens), I sort of like the academy style of teaching offered by places like American Flyers. But it is expensive and wouldn't it be easier to get hired if I trained to be a CFI at the same place I would like to work as a CFI? I'm not sure I would want to (or even if they hire for part time) at a place like American Flyers.

I really enjoy flying and would love the opportunity to share my passion with other people. I wouldn't be doing it for the money, I would be doing it for the experience, and who knows, maybe it would lead to other things later on.

Should I just start calling around Flight Schools and asking them if I complete my CFI there if they would hire me on part time?