Thread: Part time CFI?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 11:20 AM
lstorm2003
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Unfortunately this attitude taken to an employer sets you up for being exploited and hurts the professional pilot as a whole. You should be compensated accordingly (which isn't alot) and remember that there are people trying to make a living off of being a CFI and would not appreciate someone with such an attitude offering there services at a price that undercuts all of services.

If you truly aren't concerned with the money side of aviation lstorm and you are making good money at your IT job (it sounds like you have a lot invested in that field), you should considered basic airplane ownership, time sharing, or continue to rent and fly for leisure, sharing your passion for aviation with others without trying to make a part-time career out of it. If you have your heart set on being a CFI (a noble cause in and of itself) then don't undersell yourself and hold your head up high as a member of the professional pilot community and don't contribute to its continued downfall with a poor attitude.

USMCFLYR
I absolutely agree, and would not allow myself to be undercut. I already think starting professional pilot pay (including CFIs) is ridiculous for someone that has invested the amount of time, money, and effort into their training as I know that they have -- remember I've already put in a lot of this time, money, and effort myself... When I said I'm not doing this for the money, I didn't mean I would do it for a free (or reduced) wage, I just meant that if I do it, I would need to keep my primary job as my main income.