View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 08:19 PM
LeineLodge
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: DAL FO

Originally Posted by shiznit View Post
100% Leine, cost of sick usage is not our problem. In fact, I truly don't mind the usage/accrual method; its the absurdly low amount of time we have to start with that I have issues with.

I do! And no I'm not gaming the system.

By federal law we are required to be 100% fit for duty, there should not be a limit on our usage of sick time, and nor should there be a limit on usage per year......
I should have said EVERYONE, as in all of us all the time. If you need it, by all means use it. It's the abuse that's getting their attention, not a legitimate sick call.

Someone a few posts ago said it best. Pilots self-certify. No one else knows how you're feeling that day, and if you're fit to fly. That's why our policy (as of yesterday anyways) was so good. No questions from schedulers. No justifying yourself. Just do the right thing, and you won't be hassled, and WILL be paid per our contractual agreement. No Doctor's note required.

I see this as foreshadowing of the company's opener asking for a sick leave overhaul. To me that would be a MAJOR concession. If they want to call and check on sick pilots, that's fine. My paranoid side tells me it's a little more than that though.