Old 07-19-2011, 12:17 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Michaelgg13 View Post
Yes I have talked to her and she is very supportive of what I want to do with my life and understands the time I would be away from home.
Then if the best deal happens to be 6 hours away - you should not let that stop you. Right now you say that it is a big factor in your decision.
But it is also 6 hours away from my hometown and my girlfriend of 3 years also plays a big factor in my decision
Since you are in high school, I have to ask. Have you ever spent a significant amount of time away for your girlfriend in those three years?
To me.....6 hours is nothing and it would seem that a person as intent on a career as you say you are, and with a GF who professes support of said career, letting it play such a factor in one of the FIRST decisions you have to make makes me want to suggest caution to you.

I know I seem to be harping on this fact, but I have quite a few years dealing with relationships and the young men and women while they explore the long distance relationship road and often the tough questions haven't been addressed often leading to less desirable outcomes.

You are wanting to embark in a career that stresses realtionships in general. No one is trying to talk to you out of anything here (yet - that will come with a few more posts I'm sure), but going into the situation with your eyes wide open is just as important as the enthusiasm and passion that you will need to make it through the process.

USMCFLYR