Thread: Part time CFI?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Flying Ninja
Need More Flight Time!

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Flight Simulator X

Part-time CFI is definitely doable. I'm in IT as well and doing PT CFI. And, I offer my services for free to those who want it and take money only from those who insist on paying; which I will only accept no more than $20/hour of flight time. Ground I provide for free as well.

Don't listen to these people when they say providing free instruction is undercutting other CFIs or is a detriment to the profession. None of my students are complaining, and they are all doing well and enjoying the process, with me right along with them. I think if you're genuine in providing quality flight training for free, then do it! The cost of flying is expensive, and turns a lot of would-be people off from entering it. Saving these folks some dime is only an added incentive for them to get involved with it.

I do it for free and with quality in mind because I enjoy doing it. My goal was not to undercut anyone. And if they want to see it that way, that's their problem, not mine. These people think you'll take all the students, which, if you do the math on how much time you actually have in a day to work with students, especially on a PT basis, isn't enough to steal the show from anyone.

So do what makes you happy, and good luck with your pursuit!