Old 01-14-2007, 09:23 AM
planecrazyjenn
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: BE-76

You aren't technically tied to one, however definitely pick one and stick to one. It'll really help you learn systems, and get comfortable with the airplane. Switching from plane to plane can be a huge hassle, and will only cost you more money in the long run. During your checkride you'll get asked questions on systems, V speeds, emergency procedures, etc...and if your trying to fumble through your nervousness to sort out the many different planes you've flown along the way to remember what Vso is...you may have a problem. Last thing you want is for the examiner to pull your engine, and you can't remember best glide...:-D

As for the electronics v. analog gauges...I'm all for analog. Others may disagree, and that's fine. But I do not see ANY reason why a student pilot should be flying something with a G1000 in it. For one, it's expensive...two I don't believe you'll get the same training from focusing on using a PF/MFD all the time, and only using the analogs for backup. I'm not saying glass is bad, I personally hate it, but for training purposes I'd use what your going to find around most FBO's...and keep the price of learning down for now. Once you get your certificate...then start exploring other airplanes. It's much more affordable to fly 40 hours in a 152, v. 40 hours in a 172SP (talking double the price in some locations our 152 is 57/hr, 172SP is 110)...when you could do 40hours in the 152 to earn your wings, then get some training in a 172SP later.

However, again like I said, that's just how I feel about glass because I do have time in both types. Glass is nice once you fully understand the basics. But if anything, seriously stay with the same airplane.

Leading Edge is nice...and 62/hr is a good price for a 152. I'd check them out. Not too familiar with either place. Brooksville is the closest place that I've ever really flown from steadily. I did most of my training up north in the middle of the DC ADIZ though.