Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2011

Originally Posted by N9373M View Post
I was in the window seat on a 737 from OKC to ATL. Noticed mx putting oil in the engine. Halfway through the flight I notice brown fluid running down the side of the engine. BING. Stewardess, please inform the pilot that there seems to be some sort of fluid leak on the right engine. She gave me some platitude, and I mentioned that I was a pilot and that fluid from an engine is usually not a good thing. Her response was - do you fly THIS type of aircraft. Ummm, no ma'am.

I just wish they would have quietly admitted that yes, there is a small problem, the pilot's know about it and it will be fixed in ATL.

Ha! I have about 3000 hours in the old 737-200's. I'd bet you a donut that's what you were on. The Jt8D engine oil filler door is on the left side of the cowl. So the oil filler door is only visible on the right engine from the cabin. And, it is very difficult to add oil without spilling some on the inside of the compartment. Once you are airborne, the slipstream causes oil to run down the side of the engine. In 3000 hours, I never had a passenger complain about oil leaking from the left engine!
Having said that, I always (pre-9-11) sent the FO back for a look and to put the passenger(s) at easy.