View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 07:31 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by afraj View Post
How about moving outside of the USA, i do speak arabic as well as french. How about a Fast track course at ATP. and than get a bachelor degree on my own time while building hours. it will cost 60,000 VS 200,000 at ERAU, plus it will be a lot shorter.
That could be done, but will require a lot of discipline to stay on track with academics while working. The cost is much better.

How would you finance ERAU? With a loan? If the answer is yes, I cannot express in words how big of a mistake that would be. You are in a dangerous situation...your current job might give you the credit horsepower to get such a loan, but it would be financial suicide for an entry-level pilot. Especially one who won't have 40 years to pay it off.

If you have $300K laying around, invest it something else.

My suggestion would be to keep your day job, flight train on the side at a local airport until you get to the point where you can find full-time work as a CFI, then make the jump. You can do this fairly quickly, but it will require discipline...basically you will be either working or training, with not time for anything else. But you could get all your ratings with little or no debt.

I know more than one regional pilot with an aviation university degree who is now a restaurant manager because he couldn't pay his college loans off on regional pay.