Old 12-19-2005, 06:05 AM
bluebrother

Originally Posted by Vito
I've probably gotten off on the wrong foot here. Listen, I have alot of good friends who are excellent pilots flying for JB..I hope you guys are sucessful and work real hard to "raise the bar" I know alot of guys were furloughed and JB was the only game in town..I probably would have done the same thing. The problem I have with JB is mostly with the smug attitude and the general perception that JB is profitable because Neelman is smarter/better/etc etc, when in reality you guys just work way cheaper than the legacies, and you do "cherry pick" only the profitable routes. Nothing wrong with "cherry pickers" it makes good business sence, but the net result of the "Jet Blue Effect" (along with other LCC's) is the erosion of pilot pay across the board. Many JB guys seem to possess an underlying enjoyment at watching a 25 year Delta Captain take pay cut after pay cut. ( btw I don't group Southwest with you guys because they are paid at a high level.)...I know JB is young and hopefully You guys will enjoy some pay raises in the future, but the foundation has been laid by guys like Neelman that if you want to be sucessful, start fresh every couple of years, no unions, pay sub-scale wages and rake the cash in. It will be interesting to see what the "Virgin Effect" will be on the airline industry here in the states. I do wish you guys well, just don't preach or brag about any "Jet Blue Effect" because up to this point the only effect JB has had, has been to erode pilot pay and workrules.
Have a happy holiday,
Vito
nobody at jetblue "enjoys" what's happening at the legacy carriers. however, do not blame neeleman or the pilots for eroding pilot pay and benefits. you should educate yourself on the current payscales comparing jetblue with other A-320 Legacy carriers. please explain why your do not "knock" the legacy union pilots for allowing themselves to make less than jetblue pilots.

neeleman has taken a very simple approach to his business plan. fly profitable routes (not just for market share). treat passengers like customers. and treat employees correctly and fairly. this philosophy is so simple. the truth of the matter is; jetblue is only so good because everyone else is bad. in a few years this is going to change because management and unions will be FORCED to follow this philosophy or they will be chapter 7. (and jetblue will be faced with a new reality. )

im sorry you do not like the 190 payscale. i wish it were more. however, from a business standpoint IN TODAYS INDUSTRY it make's perfect sense. you do not raise pilot cost per seat mile just for the sake of it. in todays airline enviroment, its not about industry leading pay, its about surviving the high cost of FUEL and low ticket prices

im saddened and mad at what has happened to the legacy pilots. especially those who are and have recently retired. but the problems that caused this demise were there long before jetblue came into existence.