Old 01-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Daniel Larusso
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006

Originally Posted by Busboy View Post
I'd hate to try and use any logic in this discussion...But, wouldn't changing the retirement age to 65, just effect/delay our career progression by 5 years? Then, we'd be back to what it would have been. Only 5 years older?

I'm on my 3rd major carrier.

JMO
If you're on your 3rd major carrier, then you should know that in this business 5 years isn't neccesarily 5 years. Many of the people Falconjet refers to who are on furlough would have been captains 3 years or more ago without 9/11 and the economic downturn. Many people saw three year upgrades at companies where it took others 18-20 years to get to the same seat. We'll see how many CO people are talking about 2year upgrades if they end up in a merger-they'll be lucky to do it in 7-10 years then. Same goes for Airtran. Changing this rule would have no effect if everything stayed exactly the same for the next 5 years or if you are already in the seat you want to be in. If not, it's naive to say it would only slide things 5 years, imo. I bet you your other two major carriers made career progression promises that were far from correct as well.