View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Bellanca
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: CFI/II/MEI

I definitely don't want to make it sound like I'm advocating omitting information or lying.

Basically what happened to me was I got attacked by a swarm of bees, and had about 100 stings, so obviously had a bad reaction to the amount of venom and then went into kidney failure as my body tried to get the toxins out of my body. I was hospitalized so I still would have to report that regardless. There was no permanent kidney damage, just an overload of toxins that had to be dealt with at one time. And the the allergic reaction was due to the extreme amount of venom coursing through my body. However, the Air Force made it sound as if I had a chronic kidney problem and a life-threatening allergy to bee stings (although to be fair a civilian doc at the hospital took it upon himself to prescribe me an epi pen in case I run into a large swarm of bees again).

It is a very unusual case, and something I'm extremely unlikely to run into again. But the overzealous medical review board I think was trying to weed me out and cut ties with me before they spent money on putting me through OTS and UPT because they viewed this is as a potential problem that might get in the way of me fulfilling my 10 year contract. Given the reasons they gave for denying me my spot, it could have been quite difficult to get my medical back and I was very fortunate to have one of the AOPA forum AME's as a family friend and lucked out that it FAA didn't deny any of the paperwork with everything that the AME put together with my case. Now it is not an issue.