Thread: Tipping
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 01:33 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by wrxpilot View Post
Not sure what the standard is, but if we're being dropped off as a crew, we each tip a buck to the van driver. If it's just me, I tip a couple of bucks. The maid, I will tip if I'm there for more than a day (e.g. TDY reserve trip).

Some cheap bastards don't tip at all, but that's just bad karma. Not to mention it just makes you a cheap bastard!
Originally Posted by Thedude View Post
I hope you don't fall for that guilt trip.
When I was at the commuters most of the van drivers made about double what I made and they were working part time.
I was one of those van drivers. Pilots tipped a $1, FAs tipped $.50 each - for a total of $3.50 per crew. The whole van drivers make more than me line is just a way tomake themselves feel good that they don't tip. Van drivers are no different than waitresses or hairdressers. They work for tips too. I'm sure if that person who doesn't tip van drivers/bell hops went out to dinner with a group of *normal* people and stiffed the waiter for example they wouldn't be thinking nice thoughts, but if they are surrounded by like minded pilots in this case then they justify it. By the way - those amounts were over 20 years ago and they don't seem to have gone up much from other threads on this board.

USMCFLYR