View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Wildflyin
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Speed tape and prayers

NSA was fun. The little risk thing was definitely true. I did about 400 hours my season, but the weather was bad. Some of the risk mitigating things that go on is that you will not build any night flight time while repositioning to the next assigned location, you must land at dusk which gets a little frustrating. Also, the boss isn't too keen on you flying IFR to your next location; if you have to because of unforecast weather enroute, so be it, but he doesn't like you filing to fly into known IFR...though honestly, at the time of year you will be working, it won't be an issue really since nearly every cloud is carrying ice at that time. You also have to call him with your flight plan and be released by him before you repo.

That being said, you will wind up using many skills you taught your students while being a cfi. You will learn how to fly extremely precisely, as following the gridlines for the photos is a lot like flying an ILS all day that punishes you for more than 5 degrees of bank or pitch, as well as speed, altitude, and deviation (.0024 of a mile left or right of center) restrictions. You will learn to multi-task. and most importantly you will fly with some of the coolest guys ever, and have lots of fun On bad weather days we all used to go out and look at local attractions, have a bbq, or whatever. It was easily one of the best times I've had building time. Oh, you will also learn to pee in a bottle and pack a lunch (usually taken from the hotel breakfast buffet) so you can stay up there for a while. With the extended range tanks I have been up there for 6 hours a pop before landing.

After this job I went on to drop skydivers, then I went to a regional, where I am now. It was a good time, great experience. Go for it.