View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 08:07 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default For the love of flying

I use to love flying, but since it has not returned the sentiment my affections have dulled considerably. It killed my friends, enslaved and humiliated myself and others, and never failed to let me down when I needed it to come through the most.

For most (myself included) the endeavor seems to be driven from a place of irrational addiction. Repeatedly kicked to the curb the afflicted follow a predictable path of shedding friends, family and net worth. All in the pursuit of the yoke.

I went into the profession with expectations that it would compensate its devoted similarly to that of other industries. As a kid the airline pilots I knew were all well paid and home more than they were away. They lived in neighborhoods among surgeons and CEO's. They owned vacation cabins on the lake and took their families on lavish vacations. All that is gone now.

In contrast real estate to me is like the girl next door. Faithful, loyal and ever present. It has taken care of me when I was down and put food on my table when aviation would have left me to starve. After being laid off at 37 with a wife and three kids in tow I spent a year trying to find another flying job, any flying job, before the spell began to break.

Being forced to evaluate my path and the choices that lead me to an existence for my family that consisted of a two bedroom apartment and $1300 a month of unemployment insurance I saw that Real Estate was always there for me. I actually made more money and had a better lifestyle during the times when I was unemployed over gainfully employed as a pilot. My resume' reflects how aviation has conducted itself more like a trashy girlfriend.

I miss flying, but do not miss the hardships, injustice and uncertainty that came with it. Real estate is not all that sexy or fun for me. I did not dream of it as a kid. It does not always tell me what I want to hear nor does it provide for endless days in a clean bright white shirt, however it pays the bills and over time brings in big rewards for earnestness and hard work. There are no check airmen sons to jump ahead in line no faceless executives to delete the retirement account.

I do hope to return to flying one day. Only if I have a secure retirement in place and am somewhat financially independent. Or of course if the airlines pay a fair wage again and begin to hire real pilots off the street.

Skyhigh